j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's a dream pond! I would love to build one like that myself but I could not spend that much money and building it myself would take me about 100yrs w/my shovel :smuggrin:
Imagine tho just what the liner would cost? And then what kind and how big the filter would be and that would cost another arm and a leg. 350 tons of boulders! I could afford to buy 1,lol! Amazing!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He mentioned natural filtration but I don't recall seeing a bog? Wonder what kind that would be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
The whole top of waterfall and around most edges are bog. I had seen that video and asked about the intake area instead of skimmer thought that was interesting. I've seen others in the 150 range as nice. Also asked if they used bottom grid on the deep areas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They use an intake on most of the large ponds I've noticed - you can collect a lot more debris than you could in a skimmer.

There was a video of one recreation pond that was posted that had AquaBlox under the whole bottom, then underlayment, then flagstone that was set in with foam with jets under the whole thing forcing water up to keep debris from settling. They kind of skimmed over how it was constructed, but I was definitely intrigued!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
The bottom grid or block is interesting but l look back in some posting and several had said they were bad. Seems they maybe something to consider next time.

I agree for 500 grand I have 6 acres waterfront and no maintenance. I think still it's more a 150 and if you did it maybe 50.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The builder of that video was also the CONTRACTOR the 500 k is what he says he'd charge for that kinda money.

I put two drains in the bottom of my pond and they are both Rhinos. But one is with a air bladder that screws on to the base that is concreted in below the liner and is secure. how ever the other is just a 4" drain and a 12" cover that cover I did not clue figuring someday something would cause a desire to remove the cover it seemed tight enough but it was not it poped off several times. so I placed a aqua blox panel over the opening and covered it with SOME stone not enough to fully cover it yet as I am making sure everything is all set before I put finishing touches like that.. But as I did think about it I wish I had put a bigger pitch to the bottom of the pond and made a false bottom with the aqua block panels and then placed 3/4" stone on that so ANY debris from the fish or what have you would get sucked in through the stone and into a pitched cavity that lead to the drain " no dead spots or build up. oh well next time .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
-
I wouldn't be so sure of that... we built our own and I know what that cost. Those rocks don't come cheap!
The lights alone, in that which I feel was way to many. Had to run close to 10 grand IF THEY WERE AQUASCAPE LED'S

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The rock cost depends how it is delivered, loaded and selected. 350 tons of rock is roughly 17 dump truck loads. At most, delivered this way depending on roads/tolls on the route, would be $1,000 per load. I could probably do it myself for roughly $50,000-$75,000. However, I wouldn’t have to rent any heavy equipment it would just be the material cost.

Also, I would have to not count the opportunity cost of me doing it when I could be doing other things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
would be $1,000 per load

That's not built with just any rock. Cost depends on the type of rock - we used a lot of granite in the pond because it was significantly cheaper than Missouri moss rock that we used for the waterfall and edging.

But I agree - it's not $500K if you can do it yourself, but that's not exactly a DIY pond for the average person.

Ask a Question