6 fish died in last month

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No more deaths in the last week. My uncle advised would not be oxygen, can only think of maybe I. The winds some pesticide or something like that has got into,the pond. Going to empty about a quarter of the water today, back fill with rain water and hose.

I have in threaded the blanket algae from my parrot feather and other floating plant and oxygenating plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rach you need to set into motion a water change and pond clean scedule you'll need to clean gain mid summer and then agan in Autumn you should also think about making a routine for testing your water on a weekly basis as well as a scedule for filter maintenance only then will you put a stop to this .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmmm... I specifically said I didn't know why my fonts got larger on that post . It was not my intent to appear as if I were yelling - totally not my style. Underlining is only for emphasis. I am sorry that you were offended. My apologies to you @Dave 54 .

(sorry to the OP - this is in reference to another post).

Hi Lisa it might just be my fragile state at the moment appologies accepted :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Lisa it might just be my fragile state at the moment appologies accepted :happy:

Not a problem @Dave 54 - I know you struggle with health problems which can bring the best of us down. I put my back out a week ago and it's been miserable. Not being able to do the things you want to do and need to do without pain is just no fun. I hope things will be on the upswing for you soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So I started to clean as in get the mud from bottom and shelves but it all full of shrimps and do frogs not like the mud?

What should I be cleaning?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rach the aim of cleaning your pond is to clear it of as much in the way of detritus as you thus giving your fish the best optimum conditions throughout the year , dont be put off by both Meyer and I saying different things , we each appraoch our hobby in differing ways

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice. I have not cleaned anymore, just keep,scooping up the dead grunge that floats to,the top, presume dead blanket weed. I caught on Monday a fish making a nest in the debris on the bottom, absolutely fascinating! It was collecting straw that had sunk (blown in from our dogs kennel)!and burrowing it into a hole then after about 2 hours looked like it laying some eggs. Next day though the nest had gone, think the debris had floated to,the top or the goldfish eaten the eggs as I could see the Pond liner. Loved it though, I could watch my creation all day long!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It would be an idea to buy a pond vac and twice a year give the bottom of the pond a good cleanthe same goes for your filters .
You can follow your water conditions by buying an API Pond drop test kit .
Too much in the way of gunk in the pond can be a hiding place for fungus and bacteria that just love to attack the slighhtest chick in a fishes amour its slime coat .
Once in they can bring about the death of a fish in a very short time .
I'm lucky I had the forthought of a bottom drain which means all this gunk is drawn to a central drain and then goes off to a settlement Vortex then on through a number of filters then back to the pond

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can get toothed bottom using my net so can clear up easy that way to be honest. Leaving for now as all seems to have settled down, no more deaths. Thanks for the advice, will certainly keep a check on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Rach please dont blame me if you loose anymore fish as I've given you the answers my friend all that come for free if you paid someone to look at your pond they would point out the same things to you.
Goldfish if propperly looked after can life as long as 40 years or more ith koi that figure goes up to 80 plus years or more so a koi will outlive a parrrot .
They are a living creature and as such we oe it to them to give them the best optimum conditions to live it , under the New Animal Welfare laws you are libal to prosicution in the UK if it is proven not enough care or attention has been taken Both the FBAS and the BKKS signed up to this after working out a framework with the RSPCA and other interested parties.
Our oldest koi is 28 years of age this year something we are greatly proud about because it shows care and attention to detail sadly we lost our other oldest fish "to old age aged 27", sadly it was a koi that didnt have the best strts in life and never really got over its close confinement with an oscar that badly mauled it when young (because someone didnt read up upon and didnt realize you shouldnt mix the two).
It never got above 6" and we were totally amazed it lived the time it did , the larger of the two 24" is still going strong but has been retired from the show ring and is now a pet.
So as you can see correctly looked after they can achieve great longeverly in life.

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Would never dream of blaming you Dave, why would I.
As said thanks for your advice.
No matter what a living creature is, all should be treated the same.
I do,hope you are not hinting that I am mis treating my fish.
Far from it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would never dream of blaming you Dave, why would I.
As said thanks for your advice.
No matter what a living creature is, all should be treated the same.
I do,hope you are not hinting that I am mis treating my fish.
Far from it.

If you were mistreating your fish, you would not be on this Forum asking for advice!

The communication problem here is due to the fact that BMPs for a dedicated Koi pond are not always applicable to an eco-system pond or vice-versa.
Your pond, being almost brand new is still in the process of stabilizing and reaching a chemical and organic balance. During this period you may experience several events that could prove worrisome, but are not usually fatal to the pond's inhabitants. But that is what forums such as this are for.....to ask the questions and get the answers that will provide peace of mind.

Ask a Question