6 hour drive transporting large koi!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best way to do this? I want these fish to be alright. I'm very attached to them and they are beautiful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do it right get an o2 bottle and big bags double line it . don't feed them for like 4 days before the ride get a battery operated air pump or two incase something goes wrong . make sure the fish are not facing front to back but must be side to side. spinal damage can happen if you hit the breaks if they are front to back

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1649980643307.gif
@Mastifcats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
That's the way. I took my fish 1,000+ miles over two days that way and they travelled fine. A saintly local pond guy bagged and oxygenated them (I had a broken wrist). A local scuba shop also offered to provide oxygen for them.
Have the new pond or a temporary space (kiddie pool) already set up with conditioned water and good aeration going when you get them to your new home. I always net the temp pond so they don't jump out.
Safe travels! Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One other thing i might do is to have a third bag with nothing more than water in it incase something happened and you lost the water in one of the bags

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could also put the bags in an ice chest or something stable like that and water safe for ease of mind in the transport. Nothing wrong w/being over careful.
The other advantage to that is in the dark the fish will chill out and just wait out the ride les stress

Ask a Question