6000 pounds of food per year on city lot

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Many of us are saying NO to manufactured foods, the only way too assure the food you eat is REAL is to pay heavily, or grow your own. In the poorest parts of America the only options are fast food or frozen pre-packaged foods packed with preservatives and untold amounts of sugar and salt. Also, farmers markets are becoming the norm, we have several every weekend during growing season where a few years ago it was a novelty.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
grown my own since the age of 10 .My dad had an organic 5 acre farm and we had plenty of customers back then who wanted home grown ,fresh from the garden food .I used to have a quarter acre at my house in NJ and neighbors loved that ,now only a little garden for us .Grew up canning all the extras and grew up with a root cellar to over winter stuff .When I was 9 my parents bought the farm and we got started only 2 acres were for my fathers wood business .Cut and sold firewood and he worked nights at Kentile Floor Tile .He provided well but we never lived beyond our means .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Many of us are saying NO to manufactured foods, the only way too assure the food you eat is REAL is to pay heavily, or grow your own. In the poorest parts of America the only options are fast food or frozen pre-packaged foods packed with preservatives and untold amounts of sugar and salt. Also, farmers markets are becoming the norm, we have several every weekend during growing season where a few years ago it was a novelty.

We watched a movie on Netflix the other night, "Plant Pure Nation" that went over how few options for fresh food there were to some residents in some cities, but there was no shortage of fast food outlets.
Apparently farmers markets are appearing more and more but I also look at some of the local "farmers" as people that are simply bringing in imported food and selling it as "local". There are no controls at farmers markets that I'm aware of.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It doesnt matter how you eat! In the end you are still going in the same bag that the guy who ate McDonald's all his life will go in. Be carried out of your house or hospital by 2 or 3 big fat guys who sat in the ambulance just hours before smoking cigarettes and eating burger King from a greasy bag. I eat what ever I buy at the grocery store,drink my water from my well without even a house filter and eat fast food on the way home from work on my 1 hr commute from my job as a welder. Life is too short to stress about your health. We all get sick and die......

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
They c
If you're concerned about your health and quality of life, it should matter what you eat.
For example, prescription pills should not be a regular part of a healthy person's "diet".
Tell that to someone who needs the pills to live or to manage pain. Diet doesn't solve everything.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We talking food here or something more "recreational"? :D
John

Hey Haro, don't you find it ironic that 10 years or so back that the Provincial government outlawed cigarette sales in pharmacies, but now Shoppers Drug Mart is first in line to sell medical marijuana?

Ask a Question