6000 pounds of food per year on city lot

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea but I would prefer that they have to wait a little longer for me.
Longevity of life is mostly genetic. My family doesn't get much past 60 no matter what we eat. I have some health nut relatives and they still check out around the same age as the party animals. My wife's family is opposite with same same dynamic.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you're concerned about your health and quality of life, it should matter what you eat.

Agreed. Quality of life is key. Someone who eats nothing but junk has a much better chance for a poor quality of life in their later years. Whether I live 60 years or 90 years, I want to stay mobile and active for as long as possible.

In fact, I know first-hand that eating healthier makes a difference. I used to eat junk all the time when I was a teenager. Very rarely would I eat healthy foods, and I would be completely exhausted after walking two miles. Honestly, I would be tired after a mile. Had I kept that up, I doubt I'd be able to walk a mile now without needing a break. You all know how often I get outdoors, I would be so depressed if I were not able to walk a mile. Thankfully, I started eating healthier after the high school years. Now days, I can easily hike 8 miles, and I imagine I could go a lot further if were ever to hike on a trail that's longer than 8 miles.

Eating healthier is not stressful after the initial switch, and it DOES makes a difference, not about when you die, but about how you live.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have bee a vegetarian all my life and sure has not harmed me .Cremate me and throw me in the veggie garden and little me's will grow .Poor hubby if he outlives me :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have bee a vegetarian all my life and sure has not harmed me .Cremate me and throw me in the veggie garden and little me's will grow .Poor hubby if he outlives me :LOL::ROFLMAO:
My sister in law is a vegatarian,I certainly hope you are healthier then her! The wife and I are typical Americans in our eating habits and are far healthier then her. I'm almost 50 years old and can walk faster and longer then just about anyone I know . Funny thing about my sister in law, she eats very healthy but has high cholesterol, my wife eats like I do which is to say "American " and has no health issues at all. To be honest if I were to be a vegatarian that would be a bigger blow to my quality of life then just about any common health related disease! My grandpa ate a half dozen eggs a day,drank coffee like it was good for you, smoked a pack a day and chewed tobacco. He had a great life and was active til the day he died at 35.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am 62 and still as active as I was when I was younger .I take care of 3+ acres by myself and still build and repair things .I rebuilt my 2 sisters kitchens and built all the boxes and doors .We opened up there floor plans and built 2 screened in porch's on the back of there houses .Never smoked .I had to put roofing shingles on my carport and shed 2 years ago after a storm .I stay pretty busy around here but learned a long time ago a little rest now and then doesn't hurt any one .My one downfall is my berry sundae at sams club once a month .Since my hubbies heart attack everything here is left to me .Don't mind doing something I love to do .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't speak for my mom and dad since they were murdered and year before that my sister was killed by her hubby and a couple of years ago I lost my brother .My hubbies brothers and sisters are my brothers and sisters and after I moved here lost hubbies mom and dad after I moved here to be near them .I loved them dearly .We all loose loved ones but we keep them alive in our memories .

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
In another life j spent some time as US Marine and not your office variety either. I ate whatever I pleased and none of it was healthy, beer drinking,cigarette smoking junk food junky. It isn't what yiu put in your body, it's how you get rid of it.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I thought about planting a garden but, I got hungry and never got around to it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Funny thing about my sister in law, she eats very healthy but has high cholesterol, my wife eats like I do which is to say "American " and has no health issues at all.

That scenario is only one of billions.
For instance, I know someone who used to drive drunk when they were younger and they were never in a crash. That doesn't mean it doesn't matter whether we all drive drunk or not. Sure, a car crash can happen at any moment, even while sober, but it's about decreasing the odds of it. It's factual that driving sober decreases the odds of being in a crash, as it is factual that eating healthy increases the odds of living a long, healthy life.

Not everyone who eats McDonalds on a daily basis is going to have serious health issues or die of a heart attack at 55, but doing so will greatly increase the odds of that. Not every healthy eater is going to live a long and healthy life, but again, it's not about guarantee, it's about increasing the odds, and in that sense, it does matter how you eat.

In the end, I don't think anyone here, including myself, minds that you eat everything you want to eat, and you shouldn't mind that others want to eat healthy.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind at all JB but this is a discussion thread and I will give my opinion and my experiences. I dont mind at all if you do the same thing. Just remember,we all get sick and die.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
It doesnt matter how you eat! In the end you are still going in the same bag that the guy who ate McDonald's all his life will go in. Be carried out of your house or hospital by 2 or 3 big fat guys who sat in the ambulance just hours before smoking cigarettes and eating burger King from a greasy bag. I eat what ever I buy at the grocery store,drink my water from my well without even a house filter and eat fast food on the way home from work on my 1 hr commute from my job as a welder. Life is too short to stress about your health. We all get sick and die......
I take it you're under 40?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
^^ lol peter........... I have always eaten healthy, sort of, mainly because I like that type of food. Still eat my share of meat, fats, cheeses, vodka, stuff on the bad list, but lots of the stuff on the good list, veggies etc. Basically a balanced eating life style, most of the time.

Aging nicely not on one med...................yet lol

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind at all JB but this is a discussion thread and I will give my opinion and my experiences. I dont mind at all if you do the same thing. Just remember,we all get sick and die.
Ha. Was wondering if anyone reads all the way to the end. Grandpa died over 80. I am near 50 with everything I havnt broke in good condition.

Ask a Question