A Big Hello from Idaho

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, I live in southern Idaho. We have had a back yard pond for about 4 years, last year we enlarged it. Now it is around 5000 gallons and about 4 feet deep. It is the home of various koi and gold fish and about a million fry, sure wish they would stop spawning! Looking forward to increasing my knowledge with this forum.

Michele

Reaction score
:banghead3: We welcome you. Hope we can help you with any ??????? you might have. Look forward to chatting and seeing pics of you pond. WELCOME.I live in central Utah.:wink:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum as well. With both goldfish and Koi, have fun sorting out the fry untill their whiskers give them away.

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! I will get some pictures up soon, we still have some work to do on it but I think it is pretty wonderful! Any idea how much filteration I will need for this size pond? Before we enlarged it we had great water, this year seems to stay green. I have a 55 gallon lava rock up flow with a 3400 GPH pump. Just guessing but I think I may need like a 200 gallon stock tank filter.....Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my stock tank filter.

SkippyFilter800.jpg

Waterfall800.jpg

Skippy.jpg

I used those power floor waxer / stripper pads as my filter media. I believe it took 3 cases, cut up to fill it. I added a ball valve to drain it in the winter, this was put in the already threaded plug.

Not a real fancy design, but it works for me. My pond is almost 5,000 gallons. I have a 2900 gph pump running into my stock tank filter.

I believe my tank was 100 gallons, maybe 150. I can't remember .. I'm sure I have it posted in another post somewhere in this forum.

Reaction score
I've never cleaned it.

I'll drain it this fall and see if the media is getting gunked, but as long as my water flow through the filter doesn't slow down, no need to mess with it.

I do have a lot of plant cover now, I'd say 1/2+ of surface area is covered with plants.

Ask a Question