A bit of welcome and encouraging news.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And are sold for 200$ (not actual price)... Shoes are expensive nowadays! I just wear crocs.... have for 2 years now works great so far. I like that they are doing that though, seems a good way to re use ocean garbage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've read about similar efforts in the past, unfortunately recycling also creates other waste by products. The article showcases a sneaker from a major manufacturer, which is good to see, but I'm sure it costs quite a bit more to make than a comparable shoe. Manufacturers need to invest more in eco friendly solutions and consumers need to realize these solutions will cost more and willing to pay more. Remember when you last paid for a $200 pair of shoes? My dad did, but he wore it for 20 years and had it resoled several times. Many things today from clothes, furniture and electronics have become way too disposable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Many things today from clothes, furniture and electronics have become way too disposable.

Goods have become so cheap - I can buy clothes cheaper now than I could when I was in high school. It's easier to throw it away and buy new than it is to repair anything.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy clothes at goodwill and thrift stores and still amazed at the really nice things I can buy for 2 or 3 dollars .Went to one 4 weeks ago and they had a sale 2 dollars for a whole bag of clothes .I have bought shorts and shirts that still have price tags on the them for 20 and 30 dollars that cost me a dollar .The flea market is great for bargains .,Even the dump can hold treasures

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How many of you walk out of a grocery or other store carrying several plastic bags?
Bring you own reusable totes..
I just washed a bunch. The clerks seem to get frustrated when I load the belt with bagless lettuces and all other veggies and fruit. If I forget enough bags the penalty is to buy more. I live near the bay and ocean. Some areas in the Outer Banks had banned them, wish they would do that here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Over here we have to buy plastic carrier bags if we want them, but not many people use those nowadays. Supermarkets sell nice looking hessian/hemp bags that last for years or reusable plastic ones, almost everyone uses this kind now. Free plastic carrier bags were banned a year or so ago.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had my 15 year old niece pull one over on me. She called me to say her birthday was coming up, she asked if I got her gift yet. When I said no she told me she wanted sneakers. I thought great I am getting off cheap. I should have seen a red flag when she said she would order them. 3 days later my sister called me and asked if I told her daughter to order sneakers. I said yes she called me and said she wanted them. My sister said did you ask how much they where ? No they are sneakers how much could they cost. $275 I learned to be on guard around my niece from now on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
that's one odd hobby I don't get, collecting sneakers. I see people lining up at the flagship stores like Nike and Addidas to get the new sneakers which sometimes cost upwards of $500. I know a few people that are in the trading market. They compare it to a commodities/futures thing. I get having one worn by Michael or Shaq but not one worn by anyone. I guess to each their own...

$275, you got off easy look at these, they are the retail, not after market prices :eek:

most-expensive-sneakers-q2-2017-02-480x340.jpg

Reaction score
When I lived on the coast of the Caribbean the cruise ships would dump tons of plastic spoon, knives and forks, straws, etc before docking in Cozumel. A very regular occurrence.

Ask a Question