A complete newbie...

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am trying to re-incarnate an old pond that was in my garden before I bought my home. I guess they filled it in with soil and turned it into a garden instead of maintaining it. I am going to try to bring it back :icon_smile:

The problem is...I dont know anything about ponds. I have been reading through the forums to learn as I go but my first step is to dig the soil out I assume. There is an existing liner below (somewhere) and my plan was to just dig out the soil and fill with water and then use this device

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...0597613P/Floating+Solar+Lily+Pad+Fountain.jsp

to stir the water and keep it moving rather than remain stagnent. My problem is I am working with min. budget and there is no electrical outlet out there so this was best I could think of under 50 bucks. I was thinking I could get some water plants as well to make it look nice.

What do you think? Do I have to dig out all the dirt or can I leave some at the bottom? My concern is poking a hole in the liner while digging out the dirt.

I can attach a picture tomorrow (its too dark out now) :icon_rolleyes:

Let me know your thoughts?

Reaction score
I'd get most of the dirt out. Depending on the thickness of the pond liner ... With my liner I would be afraid to shovel, It would be very hard for me to rip or poke through my liner, but some of the thinner ones, I'd be careful. You could filter some of the dirt out, but I think it would be best to try to get it all out now. I would also wonder if the liner doesn't already have a leak and that was why it was covered up.

As far as power, you can easily run an extension cord to your pond, if it isn't too far. If it is grass, the grass will cover it, so you can't see it, just have to remember where it is.

Are you thinking of having fish or just plants?

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.....I hope that the liner doesnt have a hole already....

I guess Ill find out soon. I will dig out as much of the dirt as I can and inspect it first I guess before I fill it up.

As for the extension cord...I could probably find a way. My concern is still $ though....having to buy a pump or filter. Do you think that device (solar lily pad) would be enough to stir it up and keep it moving? or if I get a cord do you think a small pump (one similar to those used for indoor fountains) would do the trick better?

As for the pond I was just thinking plants with no fish. My plan was just to make it look nice and there are 2 big gardens surrounding it so I wanted something different. I figured with the liner already in place maybe I could make it a plant garden pond....

Ask a Question