A couple of my goldies...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I suck at taking pictures of my fish! One of these days I'll get a decent camera, but for now, it's either my iPhone or iPad.

Anyway, tried last night to get some shots of my 2 indoor goldfish -- these are the last 2 I caught that were spawned in the pond last year. The others have gone back in the pond, but I kept these 2 so I could watch them grow. They don't have names -- when I name them they, well.....

I found an app that would let me pull individual frames from "i" videos so decided to try that. The pics from the videos aren't any better quality than the still shots, but at least I have a LOT more shots to chose from. I've posted pics of these guys before, but this is the first time to take the pics from a video.

image.jpg

This guy is about 2-1/2" long [nose to base of tail]. When I first found him in the pond, thought he was going to be a Shubbie. However, he's almost transparent with black spots on his body & fins. He has a few areas where there are splotches of iridescence that look funny on his otherwise colorless body.

image.jpg

This little guy is about 1-1/2" to 2" long [nose to base of tail]. Has a double tail, but doesn't look like a fantail. Nothing special about him except that he has a cute little tail. I got a few "booty" shots so you could see

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey pretty clever shots there TM and you have some neat looking fish there. I like the spots and hope some of my shubbies mate w/my white comets and turn out like that also

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Lou they are all from the same carp family and will all mate together. Koi and goldfish will also but believe they are infertile then.

Reaction score
Are fantail, comets and goldfish related? Would a goldfish and fantail mate?

Fantails and comets are two varieties of goldfish. They are all Carassius auratus. There are dozens of varieties of goldfish, some of them truly bizarre. All are the same species so they breed successfully with one another. Actually, goldfish will spawn with other species of carp (such as koi). The offspring survive, but are typically sterile.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Beautiful! You should set up shop as a fish photographer. People frame pics of their dogs and cats, why not fish?

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really neat shots! Great looking fish too

Ask a Question