a DIY mini-slow sand filter

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Here's my last project for our elementary school kid, a simple mini-slow sand filter.

Here's the sand.

I was really surprised that the sand was so dark in color. I always thought sand was, well... sandy in color, but maybe that's desert sand. This is lake beach sand. When you look at it closely you can really see how material was pounded into tiny fragments over time. I just hope it works as well as sand colored sand.

Here is the container. It has a handle so it's going to be portable!

Here is the finished build.

This is the simplest build of all, just a 1 inch hole drilled at the bottom and a PVC pipe cut to the right length, total build time 1/2 hour for the empty bucket. The inside will be filled with one layer of rocks, a couple or 3 layers of pea gravel and the rest with beach sand.

Of the 3 builds, this is the one I'm most interested in as I have never seen one in action. We had the beach sand already and I considered building another kind of sand filter but this one won out as I didn't have another pump and this can simply be run off a straw from the waterfall again. I'm interested to see how fast the water will flow and most of all checking out the smell of the sludge when it becomes ripe! Most of all, it's interesting to think that people are using filters like this in other countries and the only difference is the size.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another good project. I would think the sand would get clogged up with muck pretty fast. But have not used sand so not sure.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I haven't done much with this filter because I found it hard to get the right sand. We got some more sand from the same beach but it was too coarse and then it took a long time to clean it. And then it started raining heavily, in May! It's still raining now so we're just waiting for better weather.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Still raining where you are eh John? It's sunny up here in Arlington right now. Better weather on the way so now you can get back to your project but ya better hurry cuz the rain is coming back at least here on Monday!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Happy to hear you have good weather in Arlington! It's May and it feels like March here. It's been overcast for a week and just yesterday was raining all sorts of 4 legged pets, but just for 10 mins, otherwise just drizzling... and drizzling. Only good thing about it is nature is doing my water changes for me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It may be trying to sun here but it's still not so warm..............only 54F right now and clouds are getting bigger! It is nice getting the free water changes tho. Are you on the east side of the mountains or west............I forget if you said before.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then it must be sunny there right now and more on the way! I'm loving it............again............how can you not as we get so little of it!

Ask a Question