a feast for my koi

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as my goldfish are at it again and not using the mop head i provided them, she lays her eggs and the koi basically watch, follow her lilly pot to lilly pot, and are spoiling themselves with garden pond caviar. just hope they dont want crackers.LOL now i have to clean up the layer of gravel they have managed to spread across the floor of the pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
still at it... its starting to get ridiculous. i guess putting the rest of the goldies outside stimulated another orgy.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
mine are too ... i have 4 lots of different size babbies in pond now .. im kinda hoping a lot get eaten or im going to be overrun .... may need another pond !!!!! :goldfish:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
alright.. i pulled one hiacynth out and put it in the basement pond with the koi fry, im not looking for them to mature to adult hood i'm looking at them as food for the koi fry that are already there... will they eat em? this plant is loaded.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If they dont eat them you wont know what kind of fish your raising for a while.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I don't think Koi and others will successfully produce hybrids. If anyone can find a web page and a link, I would love to read about it and see photos of the results.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well my goldies are at it again... i stood and watched as they did their thing,while the koi waited off to the side and as soon as they move to the next set of hiacynth roots proceed to clean out the roots of all eggs. its both trajic and humorous at the same time.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes my goldfish are too .... we have stormy weather here, i heard that the weather can set them off, does anyone know if thats right ?
also how much longer do they spawn for ???
my pond is coming down in baby goldfish !!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
goldies are still at it... and at the other side of the pond my fathead minnows are up between the edge rocks doing it too. i think i might be jealous...

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have eight Shubunkins in my 365 gllaon pond. The three largest are about eight to nine inches long. From the action I've observed in my pond, there are two for sure females. From early this spring and every couple weeks since, they go into a mating frenzy for about a day and then everything is calm for awhile. They really know how to mix up the floating plants. The females will even dart deep into the bog plants trying to get some rest from the males in persuit, to no avail.

I have plently of plants for them to lay thier eggs. To this date, I have only seen two small fry about an sixteenth of an inch long. I'm not really expecting to have a new brood to my pond, but if nature has it's way I should have some baby Shubunkins hiding somewhere.

Ask a Question