A few creature questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a few questions about the creatures in a pond I'll be building soon.
Atleast 400 gallon pond
I live in Sacramento California
1. What can I put in my pond to eat the dead fish?
2. Can I put a turtle in my pond? If I do, what do I need for the turtle to strive?
3. For those who have crayfish in there pond, are they doing fine or should I keep them out? Getting mixed opinions
4. Should I add pond snails?
5. What can I put in my pond besides goldfish, I've heard 36" is to small for koi. I'm also down for putting any wildfire in the pond like catfish or bass or something.
6. Will they goldfish natural maximize in amount or will I need to manually get rid of goldfish when theres a lot, I heard they reproduce a lot.
7. Can I manually put frogs in my pond or will they naturally come, it's in the middle of a school campus. Or should I not let frogs in?
Feel free to online answers one question, thanks!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a few questions about the creatures in a pond I'll be building soon.
Atleast 400 gallon pond
I live in Sacramento California
1. What can I put in my pond to eat the dead fish?
2. Can I put a turtle in my pond? If I do, what do I need for the turtle to strive?
3. For those who have crayfish in there pond, are they doing fine or should I keep them out? Getting mixed opinions
4. Should I add pond snails?
5. What can I put in my pond besides goldfish, I've heard 36" is to small for koi. I'm also down for putting any wildfire in the pond like catfish or bass or something.
6. Will they goldfish natural maximize in amount or will I need to manually get rid of goldfish when theres a lot, I heard they reproduce a lot.
7. Can I manually put frogs in my pond or will they naturally come, it's in the middle of a school campus. Or should I not let frogs in?
Feel free to online answers one question, thanks!
My reply above my not have been appropriate, I was being silly.
First, how is it that you are building a 500 gallon pond in the middle of a school campus and where are all the dead fish coming from?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jonathon If you do everything right, you won't have dead fish!!!! And if you do lose a fish, it should be scooped out and disposed of ASAP.

I think you are getting excited about the pond, but may be going to fast. Slow down and focus on one thing at a time. Decide what you want to keep in your pond. Start out with a few goldfish [or whatever fish you prefer], but keep in mind that 400 gallons is small, so you won't be able to have a lot of fish, or very large fish [or anything that will grow big]. Also, different fish have different needs, so if you want to keep something out of the ordinary, you probably need to do some research specific to that fish. That includes learning what it eats, it's environmental requirements, and what is/isn't compatible with it. How big does it grow....? Stuff like that. There isn't one answer. Then, once you get some "fish" experience under your belt, THEN start thinking about adding other critters.

One thing I've noticed that you mention a lot is the theme of getting rid of fish: having fish that eat fish, disposal of dead ones, getting rid of excesss fish, etc. Keep in mind that these fish are animals. You shouldn't go into this hobby with the mindset that the fish are disposable. They should be treated humanely.

I think I asked in another thread, but how old are you, @Jonathon? I'm just curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Jonathon If you do everything right, you won't have dead fish!!!! And if you do lose a fish, it should be scooped out and disposed of ASAP.

One thing I've noticed that you mention a lot is the theme of getting rid of fish: having fish that eat fish, disposal of dead ones.
I was just assuming that eventually the fish will start dying, I'm probably used to the guppy fish tanks I have. Also I'm almost 14.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My reply above my not have been appropriate, I was being silly.
First, how is it that you are building a 500 gallon pond in the middle of a school campus and where are all the dead fish coming from?
It's an open campus. And it's a school project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
And sorry excuse my want for so many creatures haha. If I could I would build a pond the size of about half a soccer field, or we big we possible, but I got a liner getting donated so I can't make one big. I guess I just always wanted a big pond where I can put whatever fish I want in it haha.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The project is to build a pond.
I am sure people here are more than happy to help with teaching you how to build a pond but you also need to be doing research outside of this forum. If you had created a thread titled, School Project: help me create and maintain a pond." It wouldn't have so confusing for the people to understand what exactly you needed. That being said: here is my take on ponds A to Z:
1. Decide on a budget
2. You know most of the items needed but they all vary in cost. A BOG is also a filter and this forum is a great place to research them.
3. Design pond based on budget, this part is really fun!
4. Decide on aquatic life and plants, ask the experts or people that have experience. No one here want anyone to start a pond where the fish die or get sick and the owner is unhappy.
4. Landscaping is also expensive, readjust budget.
5. Install pond, watch YouTube and read the threads people already posted.
6. Enjoy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am sure people here are more than happy to help with teaching you how to build a pond but you also need to be doing research outside of this forum. If you had ok tcreated a thread titled, School Project: help me create and maintain a pond." It wouldn't have so confusing for the people to understand what exactly you needed. That being said: here is my take on ponds A to Z:
1. Decide on a budget
2. You know most of the items needed but they all vary in cost. A BOG is also a filter and this forum is a great place to research them.
3. Design pond based on budget, this part is really fun!
4. Decide on aquatic life and plants, ask the experts or people that have experience. No one here want anyone to start a pond where the fish die or get sick and the owner is unhappy.
4. Landscaping is also expensive, readjust budget.
5. Install pond, watch YouTube and read the threads people already posted.
6. Enjoy
OK thanks you, and also my school is like a new school so it's really small, with a small staff also

Ask a Question