A few fall pond shots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We've had quite a bit of rain over the past couple of days which has done a number on the fall colors, but here are a few shots I took earlier in the week when things were really popping. We still haven't had a frost, but it looks like that's going to change by next weekend. Now it's major leaf dump time. Lots of scooping going to be happening in the next week or two.
The Pink Muhly grass & Arkansas Amsonia add color this time of year.
autumn pond 02+.jpg

Water's still warm enough to keep the fish active & looking for food
autumn pond 04.JPG

The upper pool plants are looking tired, but I'm letting them stay until we get a good frost/freeze, then I'll cut things back.
autumn pond 05+.jpg

Looking across the pond from East to West
autumn pond 06+.jpg

And West to East
fall color at home 04+.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks! We've talked about that, if things ever become too much work for us to deal with, we could rehome our koi & do shubunkins instead. But at this point, I LOVE my koi & can't imagine my pond without them!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That gazebo looks seriously inviting! Makes me wan't to take a book and a glass of wine and just sit out there for hours.

I just love the fall colors! That's something we don't get here, other than a few places near the Lebanese border and the Golan Heights. The only tree I have that gives really great fall colors is a crepe myrtle that turns red, but only if we have a sudden cold snap early in the autumn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That gazebo looks seriously inviting! Makes me wan't to take a book and a glass of wine and just sit out there for hours.

I just love the fall colors! That's something we don't get here, other than a few places near the Lebanese border and the Golan Heights. The only tree I have that gives really great fall colors is a crepe myrtle that turns red, but only if we have a sudden cold snap early in the autumn.
I must admit to spending my fair share of time sitting in that gazebo with a glass of wine.... :giggle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds to me like a very good use of ones time! :) I'm finding just sitting out by the pond seems to lower my blood pressure.
lowers the blood pressure , increased state of relaxation, Keeps the body bending and stretching wedding and netting, And lastly an ego boost knowing what you created.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We've had quite a bit of rain over the past couple of days which has done a number on the fall colors, but here are a few shots I took earlier in the week when things were really popping. We still haven't had a frost, but it looks like that's going to change by next weekend. Now it's major leaf dump time. Lots of scooping going to be happening in the next week or two.
View attachment 154973

View attachment 154974
The upper pool plants are looking tired, but I'm letting them stay until we get a good frost/freeze, then I'll cut things back.
View attachment 154975
View attachment 154976
And West to East
View attachment 154977
You have a beautiful pond. What part of the country are you from?

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_135525533_MP.jpg
    IMG_20221121_135525533_MP.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Here is a picture of my fall pond( see picture above...I am not tech savvy). My pickerel, parrot feather, and water lilies are all gone, as are the flowers and other plants around the edge. I am going leaf picking right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
lowers the blood pressure , increased state of relaxation, Keeps the body bending and stretching wedding and netting, And lastly an ego boost knowing what you created.

All of this! Plus natural Vitamin D boost from the sunshine. And if you eat a little dirt, you've got your probiotics covered, too! ;)

We humans belong in nature, not stuck inside all day at a desk behind a computer. I get out every day no matter how cold and enjoy the REAL world we live in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's where my job surpasses all. They pay me to go into the most secluded areas in the country. Occasionally we find and area where you can tell it has had very minimal influence from man's foot print. I have a regulated area on this project with a Grove of white cedar. Some may say yeah we have almost nothing but around me. Well this is a very unusual area for the north east.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
View attachment 154973

View attachment 154974
View attachment 154975
View attachment 154976
And West to East
View attachment 154977
This is one of the few pics of a pond AFTER prime season that is actually still stunning! I just love your photos!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is one of the few pics of a pond AFTER prime season that is actually still stunning! I just love your photos!
Thanks. It's amazing what a difference a couple weeks make. Now there are almost no leaves on any of the trees, except for the one huge oak that drives me crazy every year by hanging on to them WAY longer than it should! It often takes the first snowfall or ice storm in December or January to get them to completely drop (which means I'm out there scooping leaves right on into winter!)

Ask a Question