A few noob questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, so I just started renting a house with a preformed plastic tub pond and need some advice. I just cleaned it yesterday( Drained, scrubbed and filled, I couldn't stand the mosquitoes in the 4 inches on the bottom)

Description: 6-7ft long X 4-5 feet wide and 3.5 feet deep. It is eggplant shaped and has two shelves about 2.5 feet deep and a raised portion on one side about a foot deep. It has a pump that feeds to a water stream/fall that keeps the water moving slowly throughout the pond.

Concerns: I cleaned it because it was gross, smelled, with mosquitoes everywhere. So now that it is clean I would like to keep it clean. I'm a little worried about algae since i don't have a filter and the water was green. I also would like to put fish in, possibly some bluegill and goldfish.

Questions:
  1. How should I keep it clean?
  2. Will the bluegill help with the mosquitoes but wont eat the goldfish?
  3. How do I prevent algae?
  4. If the fish I put in will they survive winter with the pond being only 3.5 feet deep? (We only had 10 inches of ice this winter on our lakes.)
  5. How many fish should I put in? And do you recommend any? I can go catch freshwater fish like small bluegill, bass, and catfish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
scrubbing it won't help if you plan on fish so you may have to wait to put fish in .Do you have city water or well water .Mosquito dunks help control them .

Reaction score
Country
United States
scrubbing it won't help if you plan on fish so you may have to wait to put fish in .Do you have city water or well water .Mosquito dunks help control them .
It was city water that I used. I know that the chlorine can kill the fish if its fresh but can't you leave the water for a few days and its A-OK? Good idea for the dunks I had forgotten about those.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can put in additives and I collect rain water instead of using my well water a uv for algae I got mine off ebay 30 dollars with 3 bulbs off topdogg seller .I also use liquid barley and when i don't have it I add peroxide a half cup to each filter .I have 2 filters for 5000 gallons .I pour it in slowly .If you are worried about winter get a pond heater my son put all my stuff by the pond on switched outlets and the switch's are in my master bedroom closets .I( can turn things off from inside instead of walking down icy steps .

Ask a Question