A few questions about water lily care.....Hardy lilies

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure these questions have been addressed before.....
And I realize that the answers will be a little different depending on what geographical area you are in. I'm in Louisiana, zone 8 (a or b, take your pick), so we have a longer growing period here than many others of you. And I've found that I don't have to lower mine since the water doesn't freeze. But in general.....
  • In general: How often do you feed them and how much do they need per feeding?
  • In prep for winter: When should you stop feeding them? IOW, when (approx.) should the "final feeding" of the season be?
  • How do you know when it's time to go in and trim them back for the winter?
  • I want to re-pot during fall instead of spring, is there a "best" time to do this? Do you wait until they go dormant or will that matter?
  • If I re-pot in the fall, do I add fertilizer then or wait until spring?
  • And, when do you resume spring-summer fertilizing?
  • When re-potting, if there are several plants (rhizomes), is it necessary to plant them in separate containers?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
  • In general: How often do you feed them and how much do they need per feeding?
  • In prep for winter: When should you stop feeding them? IOW, when (approx.) should the "final feeding" of the season be?
  • How do you know when it's time to go in and trim them back for the winter?
  • And, when do you resume spring-summer fertilizing?

As far as fertilizing them, last year I used Pondtabbs, one tablet per month. There was enough in the package to last three months. June, July, August. I didn't fertilize this year, but next year I'll probably use pondtabbs again.
I just trim them back when the pads die. As long as the pads are still healthy, I leave them on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't put that much thought into them. Feed when I have time, groom when too many dead leaves. In Sept/Oct cut everything off. They slow down in growing. If I divide in the fall I do add osmocote, timing is when I have time.
I usually put one tuber per pot, they grow fast.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fed mine twice this summer.

Feeding in the spring sort of the same when I get around to it, they do fine.

Ask a Question