A few questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small pond with fountain in the middle. It’s about 1500 gallons. I use a 5200gph pond pump in the deeper end and a go plus bio filter 4000 gl with 13 watt us light. Although I think the light isn’t working...do I also need to use an aeration device? The water falls from about 4 ft into the pond. The pond is about 4 ft deep in the deep end and 1.5 in the shallow end. I’ve had my fish for about a month and they seem happy, but I’m not sure if they need more air. Also, after reading this forum I fear I have too many fish;). I have around 20 but they’re all fairly small right now. If they grow an inch or so a month there is plenty of room for awhile yet. I live in MA so warm weather is only 6 months a year. How long did it take before your fish would eat while you were standing next to them? Mine hide in the bottom until I walk away and then they go crazy . Thanks!

Reaction score
It sounds like you have plenty of water circulation and therefore plenty of o2 in the water. As far as too many fish, yes once they get bigger there will be way too many. What kind of fish are they? If they are koi then two would be the max, if goldfish you could go for a few more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It won't take too long for them to get used to you. Once they figure out you are not the Great Killer of life and that you are the Great Food God they will get used to you and soon you will walk by and they will all be gathered in the nearest area to you w/their little round mouths open begging for food acting like they are starving little piggies :woot:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should have found this forum before I got the fish. I was told they "won't get any bigger than their surroundings"... I don't really know how many are Koi, or are shubunkins...I have 4 comets. I wasn't there when the fish were picked out. I guess I will see what this summer brings. I may have to re-home some. Right now the biggest ones are about 6 inches. I know at least 3 are koi....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It won't take too long for them to get used to you. Once they figure out you are not the Great Killer of life and that you are the Great Food God they will get used to you and soon you will walk by and they will all be gathered in the nearest area to you w/their little round mouths open begging for food acting like they are starving little piggies :woot:

Love "The Great Food God" title!

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Anyone know what kind of koi this is?

Attachments

• 20190618_192552.jpg
    20190618_192552.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I can’t even figure out what’s in my pond, I’m new at this. But it looks like an 80s disco koi
Is that a rare koi? Or one you would find in a pet store? How do i get it checked out? It was a gift one of 3 that came from asia

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Anthony blanco Looks like a platinum ogon, but really hard to tell with that pic. Is it a rare or expensive koi...... not really at the moment. A lot depends on how the koi develops as it grows, body type, does it stay a bright white, etc.

I am not really into koi enough, to tell you what it could be worth. I get koi based on if I like how they look regardless of worth. Most of mine are mutts born in my pond as the older ones keep getting picked off by herons. I know enough to be dangerous as I can just identify what types they are...... usually.

@Shasmit Fish do grow to their surroundings sort of but it is because their growth can become stunted in a confined space because of water quality issues, underfed for one of many reasons,,,Not healthy for the fish...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Is that a rare koi? Or one you would find in a pet store? How do i get it checked out? It was a gift one of 3 that came from asia
@Shasmit
@Anthony blanco Looks like a platinum ogon, but really hard to tell with that pic. Is it a rare or expensive koi...... not really at the moment. A lot depends on how the koi develops as it grows, body type, does it stay a bright white, etc.

I am not really into koi enough, to tell you what it could be worth. I get koi based on if I like how they look regardless of worth. Most of mine are mutts born in my pond as the older ones keep getting picked off by herons. I know enough to be dangerous as I can just identify what types they are...... usually.
Thank you for the information I will stay connected with the form and keep you guys posted as he grows or she and definitely keep you posted on my project building the river around my bar that I plan to fill with koi, the only reason why I think it's valuable and not a mutt is because it was a gift from my business partner it was one of three that was sent from Asia because he was talking to them over there about getting the koi to put in our pond and they sent those three I will get pictures of the other two tommorow. @Jhn

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
It will not allow me to post a video because it says the file is too large so here are a few pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-18-19-50-36.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-18-19-50-36.png
    287 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_2019-06-18-19-50-29.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-18-19-50-29.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_2019-06-18-19-50-40.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-18-19-50-40.png
    328.6 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
Country
United States
I should have found this forum before I got the fish. I was told they "won't get any bigger than their surroundings"... I don't really know how many are Koi, or are shubunkins...I have 4 comets. I wasn't there when the fish were picked out. I guess I will see what this summer brings. I may have to re-home some. Right now the biggest ones are about 6 inches. I know at least 3 are koi....
So glad you found this forum! You will get straight answers here. Yep, the old, "They won't get bigger than their surroundings" myth just won't go away. It is sort of like the, "An inch of fish per gallon" inhumane myth. Eventually, you will need to rehome some of the 20 fish as they can grow to enormous size. Again, welcome to the forum!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nic looking pond/river and turtles. are those a type of slider?

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
@Jhn yes they came in the pond when we purchased the pond they are a few red eared and a few yellow bellies along with some miscellaneous fish ..... My plan is to expand it around the bar and fill it with koi

Ask a Question