A fine how do you do from a newbie. My name is Dave and happy to be here.

Reaction score
My only experience to date has been a preformed plastic pond. I now have enough epdm and ground to make a 10' x 20' free form with a nice waterfall. I would like to make it a Koi pond, but will be thrilled to start with comets. I have no idea what size skimmer, falls and pump to use and am looking for economical choice. I always have more time and energy than money. Would really appreciate some guidance and direction as I know most people keep going larger.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hellofrog7.gif
Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and if you don't have a lot of leaves and stuff blowing in your pond you don't really need a skimmer unless you want one .I does help keep the bigger junk from clogging your pump .Do you want submerged pump or external pump .External you have to take in to protect in the winter and submerged you can just unhook the hose to the waterfall and pump will keep an opening in the pond .Pump should be at least a foot off the bottom and pond should at least be 4 feet deep if you want less worry in the winter .pond calculator i use helps at eastern koi.com .Pump energy saving is better webbs online I have been looking at a laguna
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52891]go on you tube and they have great video's of how to build your own bio filter >I even think koiguy on here has video's on there of his stuff .Koi get big really big .mine after 9 years are over 2 ft and wish some one had warned me .Fancy tails and butterflies are really pretty .I have several of them
.One thing about laguna pumps Haro on here warned me about you don't want the ones built in China and you don't want the powerjet .I am going to buy the maxflo

Ask a Question