A girl all alone, I need all the help I can get!

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by Tonia, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Tonia

Tonia

My pond is 27x28x4.75, I'm calculating that to be about 22963.5?
    I have a new Eco633 submersible pump.
    I am planning a small waterfall, would like to have a few fish and I'm wanting this to be a swimming pond. I would like it to be a little more clear so I'm considering a filter with UV.
    I have a trauma injuries so it's very difficult for me to gather lots of information and implement it properly. I need some patients step-by-step guidance. I would love to upload a photo but I can't figure out how to get the URL

Tonia, Jun 15, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Tonia

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

First off a question need answering. If this an earthen-bottom pond, a liner pond or a converted swimming pool?
    If the photo is on your computer, just click 'Upload a File'.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 15, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Tonia

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! That is one big pond!

addy1, Jun 15, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  4. Tonia

Tula

Welcome :)

Tula, Jun 15, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  5. Tonia

haver79

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your pictures.

haver79, Jun 16, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  6. Tonia

Dave 54

Welcome to the foorum @Tonia , when you have decided if you wish for the pond to have a butyl liner many of the members who have them on your pond will hel talk you throigh it .

Dave 54, Jun 16, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  7. Tonia

Tonia

Thank you Dave I already have a liner in place. I'm already disappointed in the quality of it and have to patch several holes near the top but I can't afford another one.

Tonia, Jun 16, 2016
  8. Tonia

Tonia

Attached Files:

Tonia, Jun 16, 2016
  9. Tonia

Tonia

Wow it looks like it may really post my photo!

Tonia, Jun 16, 2016
  10. Tonia

Tonia

Jordan it has a liner, I'm already disappointed in the quality and having to patch several holes, it's been sitting waiting for me to finish it for a couple of years, I just can't afford another line or so it may end up and earthen bottom pond eventually. It looks like it's letting me post my photo now! I don't know that I needed to post it for both replies but here it is.

Attached Files:

Tonia, Jun 16, 2016
  11. Tonia

Tonia

Yeah it has a funny story. The guy who graded my road did some work on my stream culvert that wasn't the best quality. I told him I would give him another shot at it if the estimate was fair and he would dig me a pond
    Can you guys help me figure out how to choose filter system?
    I understand it is much less expensive to build your own, I may be able to get my son to help me if somebody really patient could talk me through it

Tonia, Jun 16, 2016
  12. Tonia

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I am reasonably sure that you plan to operate your pond at full capacity ~20,000 gallons.
    For this size pond you will need a quite large filtration system. It can be done DIY. Perhaps others on the Forum will jump in and help.
    Additionally you will require a much larger pump than the one you now have. To keep this pond functioning properly you need between a 15,000 gph and 20,000 gph to maintain adequate water quality. This can get a little expensive.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 16, 2016
    Tonia and Carla like this.
  13. Tonia

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Welcome from Canada. You might want to fortify that liner, cause if it already has a hole in it, it may be best to find another cheap but better liner that can be put overtop or something. I would not put any more work into the pond until you get the liner sorted out. I have heard of cheap alterative liners that people use that work well. Good Luck!

callingcolleen1, Jun 16, 2016
    KC Crook, Tonia and Carla like this.
  14. Tonia

Nepen

You can get a few pumps to add up to the GPH you want. And may be add in a fountain to help water circulate around.

Nepen, Jun 16, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  15. Tonia

Faebinder

If you're gonna keep fish in a swimming pond, my advise is to only keep a handful. Otherwise you wont be swimming much in the pond cause the water will not be that clean.

Faebinder, Jun 17, 2016
    Tonia, Meyer Jordan and Carla like this.
  16. Tonia

Dave 54

@Tonia you can make very good filters from Blue chemical barrels however to be brutally honest with you I dont think the liner is going to last the course not if its slitting at the top already .
    Another way to do this would be as some of the others do using large free standing stock tanks :-

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/bins-totes-containers/stocktanks

The largest of which are up to 650 gallons US we ourselves use a 1,000 Imperial welded plastic former koi Qaurentine tank retrofitted into a pond and our koi are quite happy in it even our oldest koi who is now 30 years old we also have three vortex style welded plastic filters and a fourth filter made from a large chemical barrel after the fourth welded plastic filter developed a leak
    I know its not what your dream is ut you could learn our hobby from a stock tank then move on to a butyl liner when you can afford to using yourthen stock tank pond as a QT tank
    With the chemical barrels you could string three or four together using pipe work [making sure you have the right ones for the job .
    When making a pond especially out of liner cheap isnt the best of options , look a it this way if its splitting now how long before it splits bellow the waterline ?
    Butyl liners are the best way forwards if you want to use a liner [with a 20 - 30 year life span], however they do not come cheap sadly:( :-

http://www.everything-ponds.com/rubber-pond-liners.html

I hope this helps you :happy:

Dave

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Dave 54, Jun 17, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  17. Tonia

moby

Has the liner been in the unfilled pond and exposed to the sun for the two years please? I always thought that liners degrade when left like this. It may already have holes as is looks as though it's been used before...possibly? I hope you can solve your problem and wish you all the best :)

moby, Jun 19, 2016
    KC Crook likes this.
  18. Tonia

sissy sissy

What is that liner .Looks like a swimming pool liner and if you have holes already then it may not last and you may get it filled to find it empty after awhile .All the work and money for nothing but a headache .

sissy, Jun 19, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
  19. Tonia

haver79

Agree about the liner. Not a place you want to skimp. Dont forget to make a place to be able to get in and out of the pond easily. Dig steps if you will. Those liners get very slippery after awhile. :)

haver79, Jun 19, 2016
    KC Crook and Tonia like this.
  20. Tonia

sissy sissy

If it indeed is a pool liner those were made to be put on top of sand base .

sissy, Jun 19, 2016
    Tonia likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question