A heron found us!

Reaction score
So, about a week ago, a heron found the pond. The pond is partially sheltered by roof overhang and a large dogwood tree, but I guess now that the leaves are falling off the tree, he caught a glimpse of water while flying overhead :(

Hubby went to let the dogs out in the morning, and caught him standing on the pond edge (it's an above ground pond, with wooden caps for the edge). He had his head right in the water, looking around, wings spread out for balance. Heard the door open, and took off in a flapping frenzy to a nearby roof.

This morning we caught him back again, same thing.

I'm sure he's been around when we haven't caught him too.

So far he hasn't managed to get any of my fish: The shallowest part of the pond is 2 feet deep, and there's a heavy cover of silvinia still. The only open area is the feeding ring I have set out in the middle of the pond - out of the heron's reach.

I worry of course though, that even with the plant cover and steep sides, he's going to hold his head under and some fish will swim by and be lunch.

I'm going to be putting a poly cover on this weekend anyway, as it's getting chillier out, but how likely do you think it is that he'll be back come spring?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
oh dear chilligirl every ponders nightmare ..you could try putting fishing line across the pond would be easy to fix on a raised pond or i have read there are decoy koi that float and the heron is suposed to go for them leaving yours to hide away

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Did i read somewhere that heron taste like chicken
:( you have to fight him off

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Did i read somewhere that heron taste like chicken
:( you have to fight him off

haha! It's a great blue heron, and they're protected, not allowed to hurt the sneaky bugger.

I'm going to put the poly on for the winter this weekend, as mentioned. I think come spring, I'll rig something up so that he can't stand on the edge. He's not standing in the water, he's standing on the cap boards (8" wide cedar planks) and leaning over. He's already having a hard time keeping his balance, so shouldn't be too hard to rig something up. The thing is it has to be something that the kids and dogs won't mess with, and that ideally still lets people sit on the edge (that's why I chose such a wide board - I like to sit on the edge and dangle my feet in the pond on hot summer days :) ).

Reaction score
We have herons pretty much year round here - I don't think ours migrate? I'm in Chilliwack, BC, which is zone 8a - doesn't get all that cold, and doesn't stay cold for long. There's always open water for the herons to feed (lots of rivers and lakes around).

Reaction score
Rig some kind of live trap, catch him, and cage him (in a very small cage) for 1 day right beside the pond. He will forever associate the area with what he deems to be a horrific experience. Then let him go. If he comes back, do it again and this time take him for a ride somewhere and let him out. He will not be wanting that to happen to him again.

Reaction score
No idea how I'd make a live trap. For now, the pond is safe, as it's got a winter cover on it. Come spring, I think I'll just put some net at the edges. With consistently being unable to get the fish, and regularly being startled when we let the dogs out to pee in the morning, he should eventually give up...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
BennyLava said:
Rig some kind of live trap, catch him, and cage him (in a very small cage) for 1 day right beside the pond. He will forever associate the area with what he deems to be a horrific experience. Then let him go. If he comes back, do it again and this time take him for a ride somewhere and let him out. He will not be wanting that to happen to him again.

Did you know that a GBH is about 40" tall? I would like to see a trap that one of these would walk into.

Reaction score
Just hang a sufficiently sized detachable net from the roof of his semi-enclosure that he built, and when you go to the window that you have been looking out and seeing the heron, yank the pull cord that drops the net. Simple. He already sees it from the air with the little half enclosure over it, right? Then he'll get under the net. He'll be easily trapped by it if his head is underwater, when the net falls. Even if it's not, he ain't going to get moving fast enough to beat gravity..

Then leave him caged all day, and if that doesn't work, use other method to terrorize him (not harming him, just make him very afraid) and send him on his way. I'd wager he wouldn't want any part of that ever again. He gets to live, the fish get to live.

Reaction score
BennyLava said:
Just hang a sufficiently sized detachable net from the roof of his semi-enclosure that he built, and when you go to the window that you have been looking out and seeing the heron, yank the pull cord that drops the net. Simple. He already sees it from the air with the little half enclosure over it, right?

???

I'm not sure what enclosure you're talking about?

Right now, my pond is fully covered with poly for the winter. Normally it's not covered at all.

It's tucked up against the house, so the roof overhang (it's a two story house) makes the pond less visible from the air and keeps some of the rain and snow from hitting the water.

Anyhow, thank you for the advice, but I'm really not into trying to trap or harm the heron. I'll just be diligent in making the pond less accessible. That means covering it during the winter, and using net, fishing line, and/or a scarecrow (water thingy) during the rest of the year.

Ask a Question