A little different approach

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi from Steve,
Now that I have a bit more time.
My fish hobby started with my Dad and grew to a room full of tanks and tropical fish. Somewhere around 1956 I bought my first Koi that went from a twenty gallon to a fifty gallon tank before one of the cats forced him onto the floor. Long stories, but suffice I learned that Koi are pond fish.

I have a different approach in as much as I have springs at my ranch and instead of designing ponds for Koi I had to make ponds to put the water that always runs to a non wasteful use.

I live in the so Ca foothills so we are not talking about a huge flow of water, but in the 36 years that I have lived here there are now 7 small ponds, the largest is shallow and about 20'X30' depending how much water I put in. In the summer it is about 15'X20 and about a foot and a half deep. In the winter I increase the depth to about 3 feet. Some of the others go as deep as six feet and I had to put windows in to see the fish. The shallow one works best for fish viewing and I have very mild Winters.

Like most people I spent a lot of time over thinking and I have a lot of filtration equipment I seldom use. I began to bio-balance my ponds after about five years of big electric bills. So the last 30 years have been far less work.

I was reading a couple of blogs and have two cents to put in. I seem to find a lot of people putting in Koi caves. Most use rock or stone. As these guys get bigger, they get rougher and tend to knock scales off on the rocks. I use three gallon or larger greenhouse black grow pots. I cut the ends off; so by increasing the number of pots you can make the cave long or short. Hold them down with a rock. They almost become invisible.

My ponds tend to last a long time, but occasionally I have the trees that line the ponds getting their roots over the banks and beginning to fill the pond for me. When this happens I move the fish and restart using the fish inch area rule, which works out to about 20 new fingerlings in my large pond and two 3 gallon pots lined up along several lily gallon pots to give them a place to hide amongst the pads. I use cattails at one area, being careful it stays contained. Its not as invasive, like bull rush, but it can cause problems if it gets going in the bank.

Decoration; I like Zen natural, but one of my kids has a hobby mold making business; so over the years these things tend to be 400 pound objects in strategic areas. LOL.

Anybody want to talk about Blue Herons, ducks, Canadian geese, mud hens, S,ea Gulls ETC?????

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and my ponding I guess came from my dad also as he had a waterwheel pond in PA and home made farm pond in NJ that I helped with.Took me hours of working on the original pic to get it to look good .The house burned down .We went up there for vacations .Would love to see pics of yours and all the great ideas

Attachments

• grandma kingston 002.jpg
    grandma kingston 002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
welcome and my ponding I guess came from my dad also as he had a waterwheel pond in PA and home made farm pond in NJ that I helped with.Took me hours of working on the original pic to get it to look good .The house burned down .We went up there for vacations .Would love to see pics of yours and all the great ideas
KP141432.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks good and can't wait to see more of the magic you have performed .The white one is a koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi Sissy
A shot of the oldest pond. It started life as a rock soaker. I took the spa heater out 30 years ago. Its six feet deep and has never been drained. The lily pads come up every year and the only thing I have to be careful of is that they don't completely cover and shut off the fish air supply. There are windows in the sides.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds really neat .My lilies did terrible this year just like the rest of the plants around my yarden .I think it was the polar vortex .Must be nice to look inyo the side of the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi Turtle Mommy
I run about a thousand gallons a day through my ponds. For what I have now I don't use the 500 gal bio filter anymore. I use it for a holding tank, breeding area, medication or whatever.
I had a mentor thirty years ago, who had about a square mile of Koi fish ponds in Newberry Springs,CA. I started as a customer and we became friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Here are a couple of 3000 gal cisterns that I made into cascading ponds. I had one of my kids Disneyland it.

Attachments

• KP141425.JPG
    KP141425.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 241
  • KP141426.JPG
    KP141426.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 228

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Steve
Can we see a pix of the windows in your one pond? So you get all your water free in a continuous exchange of fresh water?
Very cool ponds and ideas you have Steve!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Some where I have the finished pic with the rocks and stucco around the edges.
But I did find a pic of the 500 gal bio filter. This thing does a lot of pond jobs. Good to medicate fish; breed fish; and filter water. really no fun to move around and I need to move it again.

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG1133.jpg
    IMAG1133.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi JW,
I have a pic somewhere in the files, Its easier to take a new one. All I did was take the glass from a seven gallon tank and set it the rock as I built the walls. A tube of RTV holds it in plus the water pressure. Don't set it too far below the water line.

Water for free??? True; once you have paid for developing it. That introduction picture is me sitting on a 500 ft roll of 2" poly that went into the top spring that I recently redid. The old onelasted 35 years. It took a month of tractor work back then. This time I redid two of them and it took a week of tractor work. That roll is schedule 80 and weighs a thousand pounds. I got so tired of replacing at least 200' of 11/2PVC every winter that this was the cure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was born in PA and raised in NJ and was part of the Amish community when i was small and I guess my parents wanted more than that could offer .I was 4 when we left but we still had a house up in Benton PA and then my parents bought a place just outside of Berwick PA near the power plant and the river .My dad loved his boats

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My dad built the water wheel and the house he rebuilt since it was an old log cabin .My Aunt Helen and Uncle Ivan gave us the house and the land it sat on .I guess they were hoping we would come back to stay there but dad got a job at Kentile floor manufacturing plant in South Plainfield NJ and we moved but always went back to stay for the summers at the old farm stead .Loved going there as mom did not drive and uncle would bring over the horse and wagon and we could see my mom mom and pop pop and loved the noise the wagon made going across the covered bridges .My fondest memories .The Millville Fair and all my family .They were shunned from the community but it was for the best

Ask a Question