a look inside my fry pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
heres a few of the fry at about 2 weeks old. i posted this in my fry thread too but posted it here for those who dont follow the spawn threads.
oh crap i went back on youtube and hit the "fix" tab... it really made it worse...wow anyways i hit "revert to original" hope it goes back. if not i'll repost in the next box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
O_O They are so tiny! How many will survive do you think? Do you sell them when they get bigger? That is a lot!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theyre 3Xs the size they were when they hatched out 2 weeks ago. saw one toby today...its 5Xs bigger than most. gonna have to pull him. what do you suppose hes been eating?.. and yes they will be sold next spring.

Reaction score
always fun to watch your babies grow! I dont PLAN on keeping any fry over this year since we have the babies to grow out, but saw some 3" surprise fish in the pond yesterday ... Cant wait to get a better look at them. I think they may all be comets/shubunkins (possibly one is koi), all in different colors than anything else out there, but havent been able to get a reasonable look yet (dang lilies are growing like crazy) ...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I think you can handle the Toby doing his thing for a bit. You must have 4 times as many as last year! Keep this up and we will be calling you Koiguy's Koi farm! I'm glad you posted this video, I was worried about how many fry appeared yellow this year for me, But it looks like most of yours still have a yellow look to them and you don't have any yellow parents. That's kind of relieving for me, as I was hoping on more showa or beni Kumonryu out of this years spawn for me. Mine are in the mud pond until sometime in August, Unless I break down and do a quick seine to see what is actually in there. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Koiguy, great video. You are going to have a lot to choose from when you start looking for the best ones. Did you ever change the parents? I know you were thinking of making a change with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I might have to take a drive up to your place in the spring. (I bought half of my pond building supplies at the Menard's near you...94 and Hall)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Fishin'.... it's seems to me that the tobies like to eat the prettiest ones tho!! and this year i'm not gonna sell bags of fry. i find the first 2 or 3 weeks most are that yellowy peach color. then colors start popping up. ive had some that some colors didnt show till the next spring.

C.K.... i always start with big numbers. frogs, tobies, selling bags of fry...the numbers can drop pretty quick. i caught every frog i saw this year and relocated them. every year til now i would pull frogs from the fry pond every morning and thru out the day as well, sometimes 3-4 at a time. still the same brood stock, minus the sumi orenji ..sold her.

BlueOrca ... I'm little more than 5 minutes away from there...come on by!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i will say, this isnt the fastest growing batch i've had tho... and i've had them hand feeding at 3 weeks old before. dont think thats gonna happen this year!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this is the first year i did the green water thing. that may have something to do with it. i doubled up on my brine shrimp production. i also fed spuralina powder as usual. dont know, but they didnt seem to get overly enthusiastic over the brine shrimp this year, or the spuralina. spurilina is 60% protein, brine shrimp is 45%. i fired up the u.v to clear up the water, will add another biofilter today or tommorrow.

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I've been minimally breeding for the past four years and It's a blast. Yes, I love seeing them turning from pale to yellow to orange and opening up with patterns. Last year was the worst. I had a bad arm and couldn't take care of them. Like you said, the toby's ate the best ones. At the end I had twelve beauty's and then I killed them, forget to put declorinator after a clean.

This year it's been crazy. I was trying to breed Kujaku in my brick pond and the system was connected to my main pond still. So long story short. The Kujaku's spawned they were tiny. But apparently the showa and kuhaku had spawned without me knowing and traveled into the brick pond, where they had a kujaku feast. Because they look more like showa and kohaku fry now.

So, I have to wait and see what they end up looking like. Now that I took the toby's out the others are getting bigger.

Are you a koi farm breeder or hobbyst? You said something about a mud pond? And I'm behind the times. What variety did you spawn?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koigal... i just do pond spawns.i dont pair up individuals to try to concentrate gene pools. one thing i have learned, is that what i like or you like isnt neccessarily the same thing. and i'm not selling show fish, just pond grade fish. i have people come and Have to have this one or that one because its "beautiful". and its one i would have likely culled. so, i'm just a hobby breeder if you even want to call me a breeder at all. i do it because i enjoy it. and it, at best, defers alittle of the costs of the hobby.

HTH... not much to talk about. just thought i would try green water in the fry pond. supposed to supply food, preditor protection, and ammonia control. growth rate seems to have slowed, but not due to numbers. , i have had simular numbers with clean, clear water and had much better growth. and had them hand feeding at 3-4 weeks.
these guys are about 3 weeks old.... first try at hand feeding

603542_434398479931769_2015216876_n.jpg

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
With green water you have to control the density of the water. If you let it get too dense it might account for the slow growth. If you were letting get dense enough to hide fish you may well have had it too dense.

Ask a Question