A Love Story

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I was unaware that my female shubunkin was tangled up all day with the male by her side. I thought he was trying to force her to expel her eggs. So I thought nothing of it. He is always chasing her around all day. At night while having my desert I wandered over and realized she was still in the same spot and tangled. I got my poker stick and worked at getting her undone all the while having her struggling. When I finally got her free she sank to the bottom and just laid there without moving. It must have been at least 20 minutes that the male snuggled up to her like you see in these pictures. Just the two of them keeping very still. Occasionally nudging her but no reaction from her.

I was sure I would find her the next morning floating at the top. To my surprise and delight she was like nothing had happened. Turns out she was just exhausted. Do fish become friends and care what happens to their buddy? I was so touched while I sat next to the pond watching them. I finally had to go in because of mosquitoes. My son made fun of me for thinking this.

I still say it's a love story.

FE7743E6-2B68-4486-99C8-68C332AA67E5_1_102_o.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Awe!!! How lovely.
I always wanted a Belfast sink to make into a bog feature, my best friend surprised me with a double one....yeh!!! Also...with her granddaughter..... That we share...brought 4 goldfish!!!!eek!!! I promised my lovely hubby I wouldn't have another pet, as I get very, over the top loving.... I could not upset the little one, so. Put on my happy face, in went the fish, ta daaa!!; I put two in each sink, I noticed one of the goldfish was bullying it's house mate, next day it was in the other side!!!! bizarre!!! Bully was on his own, popped his flat mate back in. With him...next day poor soul was floating....then...my daughter & I were watching bully, he only jumped out of the sink at her....I screamed, she scooped him up popped him back....she said... Jesus... Now his name...then Jesus...was found floating on his side...give me strength! I netted him out, popped him in a jug, popped an oxygenator plant in with him, for hours, didn't feed him....yep, Jesus rose again...happy content, no problems, in he went to his cleaned out sink. I've now popped my 3 finnies into a very large trug, a bit worried he may turn into Hannibal lecture....nope, the three finnies are so lovely together, waiting till I finish building their forever home.....could it be, Jesus's house mate was unwell? Think I over fed Jesus, hence his side float prob.

Ask a Question