A mystery

Reaction score
So here’s a question that’s probably been asked a million times on this forum but I can’t find an answer specific to my situation.

THE CASE OF THE MYSTERIOUS MURKY WATER:

On Wednesday (two days ago) I de-chlorinated my pond, waited an hour for the water to cycle like a good little boy and then stuck 7 fish in there. After doing so, I spent the rest of the night getting high off of watching them. Yesterday, I was planning on doing the same thing when I got home from work but sadly the water had gotten all murky and icky looking.

At first I thought that some loose sediment from the rocks had somehow gotten disturbed. Checking my rock inventory I found that my stupid totally unlikable goth dog had apparently knocked two of the border stones into the water sometime during the day probably trying to get a drink. I fixed them, checked the pump (unfortunately a small feeder fish that I’d bought had gotten sucked in the grate :eek2:) cleaned it out and reset my system.

This morning, I get up happy to go out and feed the fish and I find that the freakin’ water is still wonky! Since I was up at 4:00am, I ran out to the all night Big ‘N Large and grabbed some anti-algae treatment. I poured it into my pond before leaving for work and I plan to pick up some barely at lunch just to be on the safe side. I’m hoping that my water has cleared up by the time that I get home.

My question is this: Could I have had an algae outbreak just one day after de-chlorinating the water or was it one of the other factors? If it were the stones, then I would have expected the sediment to have settled overnight. Also, the fish that was caught in the pump didn’t seem to be impeding the flow so all I can come up with is that it must have been algae! Still, it seems so sudden!

Can anyone tell me whether or not I’m wasting my time treating for this junk so soon? Could something else be causing this? Also, does anyone have a good recommendation for materials to make a pump sock so I can prevent future fish from being sucked to death?

Reaction score
For pump sock try ladies nylon. The pond is new...correct? If so, it will take time to clear up. Barley straw only works on string algea not the green water algea. I have no barley straw in my pond and I have no string algea either.

Reaction score
Yes, the pond is relatively new but the water in it was crystal clear until yesterday. It had been clear for over a week but I hadn't put in any de-cholinization stuff prior to Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice about the barley. I didn't know that.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It has gotten better. One of the stranger things in all of this is that it now remains perfectly clear throughout the day but gets cloudy at night. It was really bad at first but now it's just slightly cloudy once the sun goes down. The temperatures fluctuate pretty drastically in my region so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Thanks!

Reaction score
My pond did the same thing for a while then it settled in and is clear all day and night. I am not positive but it seems like it was just part of the natural cycle getting balanced.

Ask a Question