A natural pond for an Asian style garden in Israel

A 13,000 liter pond in a Mediterranean climate with a two-meter long stream
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You had probably the worst substrate to have in building a pond. Glad to see you saw it through.
As it's said hiding a little of the main focal point makes the viewer want to know more. I want to see more. Put together your completed build. Show all the work you went through for your oasis.
Spectacular job!!!! ... and the best part by a Fiesty Grandma. Your stronger in will and determination then 70 % of the young men I know out here in construction today
Well done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You should be incredibly proud of what you have created, simply stunning !!!!!!! Well done, it looks like its always been there :)

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
One thing that I wanted to add to the build post, but couldn't, due to the limit on the number of photos was my solution to the predator threat. So here's that excerpt:

Kingfisher issues

As soon as the pond was filled, the kingfishers showed up!

Kingfisher-closeup.jpg

We had put four small comets and five shubunkins in the pond, but as soon as the water cleared enough to really see them, they had been gobbled up by kingfishers! Something had to be done, and fast. Netting the whole pond was out, since a) the pond is meant to be part of a larger landscape and I didn't want anything interfering with the reflections off the water, the lines of sight, etc. and b) for the most part, I want the local wildlife, including birds, to have access to the pond. So what do do?

Fortunately, being in Israel, figuring out how to defend against bad stuff falling from the sky is something of a local specialty. Hence, we have cool gadgets like Iron Dome to protect us against missiles fired by our friendly neighbors, etc. And so, without further ado, I give you...

Iron Net!

Waterfall-netting-hybiscus-flowers_14Jun22_web.jpg

Basically, this is just a bit of fencing material stretched across the pond and floated on ziplock bags full of wine corks. Not exactly beautiful, but it worked!

The fencing was unwieldy and had a tendency to bend and buckle rather than lay flat. And after having the ziplock bags of corks get repeatedly dislodged, I finally drilled holes in the corks and strung them along pieces of bonsai wire, then formed the wires into a ring, with more corks-on-wires forming "spokes" across the ring:

Netting and goldfish_16June22-web.jpg

The ugly corks were eventually replaced by fishing floats. Once the fish were bigger and less of a morsel for the kingfishers, I removed the net altogether.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
You should be incredibly proud of what you have created, simply stunning !!!!!!! Well done, it looks like its always been there :)
Thank you so much! It's actually looking more natural every day, as the plants begin to fill in.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Beautiful pond...breathtaking background!
Thank you! And by the middle of this coming week, I'll be able to start planting in the garden again, as we come to the end of the "Fallow Year". It's been quite a trial for a gardener - keeping my hands out of the dirt! At least I could plant in the pond... ;-)

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
You had probably the worst substrate to have in building a pond. Glad to see you saw it through.
As it's said hiding a little of the main focal point makes the viewer want to know more. I want to see more. Put together your completed build. Show all the work you went through for your oasis.
Spectacular job!!!! ... and the best part by a Fiesty Grandma. Your stronger in will and determination then 70 % of the young men I know out here in construction today
Well done
Just posted the construction piece of the post. I tried to post it before Shabbat, but kept getting a message that the post contained too many photos. So I had to leave off when it was time to log off. Finally cut down the number of photos and got it posted.

Your pond has definitely been an inspiration to building this one. Here's to all feisty old farts the world over!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Truly is a gorgeous pond, an oasis in the desert that is a pleasuer for us far away to enjoy with you.
Thank you! Had I known how much the pond would add to the pleasures of the garden, I would have gotten out the pickaxe a decade ago! You're so right: it really has made the place into a sort of oasis!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Not a bad build for a granny!

Just beautiful!
Thank you! It's so nice to be able to share it with folks who appreciate all the work (and worry!) that goes into a project like this. Now I just hope I don't end up attracting the attention of 20+ water snakes ;-) !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now I just hope I don't end up attracting the attention of 20+ water snakes ;-) !
And why is that? You can join me in being snake trapper!
Here's to all feisty old farts the world over!
Feisty old facts keep this world going. The replacement old farts only know how to use a phone.

Ask a Question