a neat plant app, for pollinators, what plants to plant.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
http://www.pollinator.org/beesmartapp.htm

With the Bee Smart™ Pollinator Gardener’s easy user interface, browse through a database of nearly 1,000 native plants. Filter your plants by what pollinators you want to attract, light and soil requirements, bloom color, and plant type.
This is an excellent plant reference to attract bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, beetles, bats, and other pollinators to the garden, farm, school and every landscape.

A member of my bee forum posted it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Back when I bought plants I was always trying to figure out if a plant was good or not. Now I mainly do pollinating seeds. I need to reseed this spring, I could not seed in the fall we left way to early and it was a warm fall, if I had the seeds would have sprouted and then died.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
If any creature needs a helping hand to protect it from the insanity of mankind's destructive habits to the environment its the bee. I never thought about using horticulture to promote and preserve bees but, with this tool I may have to start doing that. (y)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If any creature needs a helping hand to protect it from the insanity of mankind's destructive habits to the environment its the bee. I never thought about using horticulture to promote and preserve bees but, with this tool I may have to start doing that. (y)
It is the bee and all pollinators. I plant for all the different types out there. Those tiny tiny bees to the large bumble bees. They all get fed, along with the butterflies, hummingbirds etc etc lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This seems to be an appropriate place to share this graphic I found yesterday. A lot of great tips for those of you who want to help pollinators and other insect/animal species.

Cbzp0t-W4AENTMI.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never thought about using horticulture to promote and preserve bees but, with this tool I may have to start doing that. (y)

You'd be surprised what our garden can do if done the right way. It creates habitat for more than I would ever be able to list. Sticking with native plant species are the best way to go.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
You'd be surprised what our garden can do if done the right way. It creates habitat for more than I would ever be able to list. Sticking with native plant species are the best way to go.
I like to think that the 16 acres of untouched forest around my property does quite a bit for the pollinators. I have massive groups of honey bees each year and closer to the house lots of yellow jackets and wasps which I don't exactly love but I let them be if they let me be.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You might have a lot of black locust, tulip popular trees, that is one of their main nectar sources up here.

I leave the brambles, growing around the edge of the woods, we planted a lot of golden rod. You sure can smell the hives processing it in the fall, the hives smell like butterscotch. It makes a great honey, good flavor, but we leave it for the bees to live off in the winter, that plus the hundreds of pounds of sugar we feed them. Last year around 600 lbs.

In the fall I mow down the wildflower gardens to around 4 inches, helps the seed disperse. I only mow after I search for any praying mantis egg sacs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bummer, maybe it will give you plants that will work near the border, that would work for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Good idea why didn't I think of that.:)
I'll try the Whitefish Montana zipcode.

I haven't tried the app yet, but the main webpage has given me a lot of great ideas for landscaping what sounds like a similar climate.(y)

Ask a Question