A new member

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Down to minus 5 deg celsius on rate occasions
Country
United Kingdom
I am from south wales and new to anything to do with garden ponds. I have just marked out an area where i want the pond to go, i hope to pick up some tips and look at other peoples ponds. Gary

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
default_welcome38gk.gif

Nice to have you with us, Gary! So, you marked out an area. Tell us more. Dimensions, depth, fish, plants, etc. The more details, and pics, the more the great folks on this forum can help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
It will be 12 foot long 6 feet wide. I have cut a shelf 10 inches down at the edge all around. I was wondering if i should have another shelf or go down to the full depth of about 3 ft. Will be keeping koi and tench

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It will be 12 foot long 6 feet wide. I have cut a shelf 10 inches down at the edge all around. I was wondering if i should have another shelf or go down to the full depth of about 3 ft. Will be keeping koi and tench
If you're going to keep koi, I suggest you build only one shelf, and make the rest of the pond roomier!
My pond started out with shelves and I ended up taking them down to make it larger,.
if I had known how much room koi really need, and how fast a 4" fish turns into a 20" fish, I would have done it without shelves in the first place!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Gary. Welcome! Good luck with your pond. Basically you will see different types of ponders here. Watergardners with mostly goldfish, and people with Koi ponds. Generally the Koi ponds have less shelves, plants etc and the water gardens are the opposite. I have always had just goldfish but just recently added two Butterfly Koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Very interesting replys i think i will keep the one shelf i have around the edge like i said it is 10 inches deep and 10 inches wide just for a few plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
The small area in the foreground is where the water will be going in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gary it looks like it's going to be great. You can use the excess dirt as you dig to create berms or a raised area for a waterfall. I suggest you have the edges of the pond raised up a little so you don't get rainwater from your yard flowing into the pond. This will prevent weedkiller, fertilizer, etc from going into it.

Ask a Question