Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
MoonShadows submitted a new Showcase Item:

A New Pond in the Pocono Mountains

And, a raised pond it is!

This first post is a duplication of a post in my introduction to the forum. I am also posting it here so I can chronicle this new pond from purchase to set up to completion and beyond.

Well, after the desire to have a pond for many years and talking about it for so long, we sat down last night and finally decided to purchase an above ground pond kit, one of which we have been looking at for some time. Just a few minutes ago, we made the purchase of a 425 gallon above ground redwood pond kit from Coastal Pond Solutions in British Columbia. (http://coastalpondsolutions.com) a.k.a. Kim's Ponds. Cost: $1675 including shipping, taxes, brokerage and duties.

The pond kit assembled is 82" x 72" x 30" and consists of:
Interlocking Western Red Cedar Frame and 3 benches
Preformed Firestone EPDM Pondgard Liner with ground pad
Quiet One Model 4000 pump with mechanical & biological filtration and ultraviolet sterilization (991 gph)

425-gal-photo-2016.jpg

Read more about this showcase item here...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember they do breed fast ,you don't want to get overstocked .I would look into fat fntails they seem to not breed much and they sure are fun to watch those butt wigglers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since it is only 425 gallons, and since I don't want to kill anything too expensive early on :(, I'll probably go with Comets and/or Shubunkins.
I have a koi pond, but I just had to have a couple of shubunkins too in there , they are so colorful, I love them!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just got notification that my pond is shipping today from British Columbia, CA. It is scheduled to arrive next Thursday. I know this is just a "foot bath" for many of you, but it's an "ocean" for me! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started out with a preformed and look where I am at now;) .I am going to put in a preformed on the other side of my porch for my lotus plants this year

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It happens and you don't see it coming .I have taken several ponds out here for realtors so they could sell the houses .Ponds are not a selling point here and preforms are mostly what I have taken out .2 were liner ponds ..I already am thinking about the mistake I made doing this pond even when I had to rebuild it this time I thought about ordering a truckload of dirt to fill in the hole .I am not getting any younger and taking care of this place by myself is getting to me .But it was my dream retirement house at the time .I had dirt and a house when I started out in 2004 and everything I did here was done by my 2 hands .Even all the rocks on the hill were place by me
all around 7-14-15 054.JPG
all around 7-14-15 057.JPG

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's a lot of work! I know from first hand experience because when we first moved here in 1995, I built rock walls up the driveway and across the front in addition to a couple of retaining walls out of rock from scratch.. All rocks were hand loaded into my wheelbarrow and placed on the wall by me. Two carpal tunnel surgeries and 20 years later, at almost 61, I could not imagine doing anything like that now; it would kill me.

Court Yard-Spring2000.jpg

PA-Wall with antique fence.jpg

WallRight02.jpg

WallRight03.jpg

August 200A0004.jpg

August 2002B0003.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In the past I had redone 4 houses and swore I was never going to do it again .But seems we never learn .This is a modular house and when the basement was done and cranes placed the house and then back fill and septic tank install it was all dirt .I will never do that again .After hubby had his heart attack it was all left up to me .Those walls really fit the house well and yep rock hauling is no fun and a lot of work and love you put into your house and property .My house I left behind in NJ had to be all redone and the new owners just left it all go to heck

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like the rocks (Pennsylvania's Number 1 Crop!). Our farm house was built in 1860. Back then, there were no concrete blocks or preformed wall blocks, so they fit well.

Ask a Question