A "picture" that represents a cycling pond.....is worth a thousand or more words!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know -- awkward title.....

What I mean is, I would like to see posts of a few really good graphs/charts that show what happens to the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels as a pond (or aquarium) is going through the cycling process. Maybe we can find the best one, and "sticky" it to the forum (OK, maybe that didn't come out just right....)

There have been numerous posts regarding "cycling," and for me, seeing what it looks like helps so much more than reading about it.

I have a pond, a QT, and an aquarium. For some reason (maybe my fish load is too low for my filter?), my pond has never shown the numbers that would indicate it has cycled. My QT is using all old media, so all I get from it is nitrate readings, so guessing it pre-cycled before I started testing. BUT my little aquarium has been a joy-ride -- and is just hitting the nitrite rise portion. I'm graphing it and it's amazing that the levels are following the average curves! It's fun seeing science in action! :)

So, thinking that some graphs might help others understand, as well.

Here is one.....
image.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks I think this is a great idea. I think my pond cycled fishless, sort of!! It took me FOREVER to hook up and over a month ago we had so much rain and I was physically and emotionally tired of the pond work that I said forget it, I'm not pumping the rain water out. As it sat a while my walls turned green and I decided to put my tote of lily pads and other plants, along with 12 rosy red minnows. I also put 2 air stones and a large umbrella type fountain. Never checked my ammonia or nitrites. Finally after a month the skimmer and bio was going and I added 1 large goldie, then 3 more fish a week later and my levels have been. I'm still waiting but I think it cycled a while ago.

Ask a Question