A poll, just for fun!

It's (almost) January -- How is YOUR pond spending this winter?

• It's shut down for the winter (but no ice is expected)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It might be just a tad early in the season for the REAL winter weather to rear its nasty head, but still thought I'd get this going, just for something to talk about. Here in the south (Louisiana), we may not even have a "winter" this year -- but if we do, it won't happen until February.

You can change & update your votes. Add pictures if you want. This is JUST FOR FUN!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So far so good but I did shut one pump down and the aerator for a week since Danville utilities asked everyone to cut back so the demand could be meant .But it has not really been that could.One week of the 30 and a little below degree temps at night .But had ice in the filter tank that I shut down .I need to get that new filter done for next year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Running as normal, pond crystal clear, fish semi-active to active, air temps below 10C, occasionally -C, nothing iced over as yet but hoar frosts overnight, no snow, none last year either. Could all change though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Still running but I'm gonna shut the bog next week cause of the one of the hoses that has a connection and it has come unplugged when the temp hit the teens. The rest of the pond will run all winter, filter box and skimmer included.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Water fall still running but unhooked the pre-filter and turned off the air pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Been iced over since the first big snow in mid December. Shut down the pond just prior as it was an unusually warm November for Michigan this year. Breather is breathing away and the fish I'm sure are dreaming of spring awakenings. Me? I'm reading here and thinking I need a cold hardy banana plant next year...heh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My filters and waterfalls are off, but I'm running a Pond Breather and aerator. I've covered the pond for the first time and my water celery is still growing :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Shutdown bio, etc but skimmer runs through waterfall and maintain a 45-50F temp, even during a 10F blast! All are
well .... Aerator is also running 24/7/365

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Main pump pulled. Running a pond breather and a sub-surface 200 GPH pump which has kept a nice hole in the ice except for 2 days where temps were down to 15 F below. Heavy snow pulled the net into the pond where it froze into place.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Psssh, almost January and only saw a thin crust of ice once so far. I'm lovin it! It was 55* when I left work today, 23 when I started. Those are numbers I can live with. Far from the "I think it's going to freeze solid" years we've had, and may have again, it is only January.
I don't really care if the pond freezes or I loose a pump but I'm not prepared to relocate a fish of any sort right now and that's what I care about. These are my guys... I need to make a plan.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Both ponds still running 24/7
Fish and turttles are happy not feeding much at all a little winter food.
In fact usually the turtles are down deep snozzeing but they where up getting some sun yesterday. :)
Expecting some more rain tonight tomorrow but no frost here.

So gas no major problems thank goodness. And knock on wood.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aerator is running and fish seem to be doing well. It was a little over 50 yesterday and they were actually up near the top swimming around a little. I took the pump out after the local utility did an audit and determined it was the pump that was causing our above average electric bills. Although I ran the pump/fall's last winter, the pump's off this year $o we shall $ee what we shall $ee...

Ask a Question