A Poll -- what are your winters like - ice or not?

What are winters like for your pond? ICE!

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have lost 1 feeder fish in 2 years. Didn't want to count that as a bad experience but still wanted to put it out there. My pond is covered with ice for 3 solid months. Would be 4 but my pump helps melt it faster.

Reaction score
No ice at all this winter in the UK. Can only think of a couple of days where there was frost on the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In Ohio, there will be ice. Some years more than others. But, I have never lost a fish ----( insert knock on wood.)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, so it seems like most of you who responded do have to deal with ice to some degree. That's just a whole new concept for me [and Priscilla, LOL!]! And I do enjoy reading your stories as they reinforce to me that there IS a world out there!
A few years before we decided to build a pond, my son & I [and a few other scouts from our troop] were doing some good-deed stuff. It was in the winter and late enough in the day that it was dark out. This property had a fountain-pond that was thick with ice. We were all shining our lights at the ice when we saw movement down there and realized there were goldfish swimming around under the ice! How awesome was that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I get ice every year. After 3 winters I have noted ice lasts anywhere from 2 weeks from ice to completely thawed to 6 weeks at the longest from ice to completely thawed. In 3 years I haven't had it last longer than 6 weeks.

Ask a Question