A pond without fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering if you can have a pond without fish. Plants would be ok, but I'd like to make a small swimming hole for my dog. Any thoughts on this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go for it, just have some water movement to keep mosquitoes at bay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Welcome Welcome to the GPF!

A pond without fish is like a day without sunshine...

haha! Just kidding! You can have a fishless pond if you want. You'll have to feed your pond plants, though.

Although- there's no reason your dog can't swim in a pond with fish... just sayin'!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you do not mention how big you want your pond and how big the dog is .Only problem I see is feeding the plants may no be good for the dog 's digestion or skin and coat .I would check that out with maybe a vet .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A pond without fish is a lot more interesting,they do put a lot of stress on a pond and mess up the plants and water quality.

Get used to delicate things thriving, diversity and crystal clear waters...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A pond without fish is a lot more interesting,they do put a lot of stress on a pond and mess up the plants and water quality.

Get used to delicate things thriving, diversity and crystal clear waters...

I sometimes think if anything ever happened to my 4 koi, I'd redo my pond, making it smaller, more accessible and no fish.....lots of plants !

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm wondering if you can have a pond without fish. Plants would be ok, but I'd like to make a small swimming hole for my dog. Any thoughts on this?

Welcome to the forum!
Simply put, yes, you can absolutely have a pond without fish. I hope you incorporate some native plant species in and around the pond. That way, it would benefit not only your dog, but pollinators as well! Imagine a picturesque garden pond with colorful plants, butterflies flying around, the occasional hummingbird, and in splashes your dog! Heck, even add a bog filter and you'll have birds coming to bathe and drink! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
A pond without a fish is...

like a fire without a coal
like a song without a soul
like a soup without a bowl
like an egg without a roll
like a donut without a hole

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our app. 600 gal. pond had 14 fish....koi, goldfish, and 3 bream. Over the last 8 months all are gone. :~( I'm not sure I'm going to restock; that was a lot of $$ that fed the owls or raccoons. :~/

Ask a Question