addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went to a rookery in florida, beautiful birds. My photos aren't as professional as yours lol, we just had a point a shoot with us. I would never shoot them, they are just doing what is natural for them, i.e. eating.

aDsc05577.jpg
aDsc05736.jpg
aDsc05632a.jpg
aDsc05572.jpg

Reaction score
I think anyone that loves nature so much to go to the trouble and the expense of a pond would have a hard time harming birds.

Thankfully I don't have that guy down here, the heron that eats from me is a small guy. I Couldn't even throw a rock at him when I saw him the first time. We were sitting there so happy a bird was at the pond when we saw him looking crafty and plunge into the pond! Talk about morning coffee spilling! I found a wine cork and threw it but missed him, scared him enough to fly off.

Hmm why are there wine corks at my pond ....... Haha!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never thought they would stick around in the winter, but they have landed here in January, so guess they do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There were a few that visited.........
The heron learned to hop over the chicken wire, even with the fishing line strung over the pond.
So now have the wide weave netting, it did not land all last summer, even with flying over every day.

IMG_2903.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good stuff, love seeing the herons. I think that is the first green heron I have seen at a man made pond, cool

Reaction score
Addy, the little guy in your first picture is the same type we have here. He keeps showing up to check things out. Almost like he's looking for an opening to get in there. I don't think he gets in the water, only perches on something and fishes like that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Been here to my pond and they are beauties and quite crafty. They can squeeze through openings that I thought they couldn't fit through. Before I had my net I just used a wire fence and this one squeezed right through a narrow opening so I added more wire reinforcement. Then the loud radio when he kept coming back. Now the net and I have peace.
I think this was a young one.

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, the little guy in your first picture is the same type we have here. He keeps showing up to check things out. Almost like he's looking for an opening to get in there. I don't think he gets in the water, only perches on something and fishes like that.
It fished from the pond edge only managed to get a tiny one.

Ask a Question