A problem with one of my trout ponds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all:
So, I have a serious problem with one of the two trout ponds on our property. The pond is 20 years old. It spring fed for the most part. It was dug down to ledge, and the main spring is in the deep end. (15 feet down) Until this year, there has never been any algae. Also, all of the Brook Trout are dying. The brood stock (15 to 20 inch 3 to 5 lbs) and the small trout. These fish had a successful hatch in May. (probably 1000) They were doing fine until the beginning of June. I fed them quality food every night. They also ate most of the baby fish. Then, they started dying. That's when I noticed all of the algae too. I took out a ball today about 3 feet around. The bottom is getting covered too. :(
I made one change to the pond last August, when we moved here. There's a culvert that goes under the driveway. (Water only runs through here during heavy rain, and snow melt for about 4 weeks in the spring). Then, there's a 20 foot long ditch to the pond. It was getting pretty mucky so, I put two large pickup loads of 5 inch limestone in it last August. (about 3500 pounds) I believe limestone is acidic. Although, I saw no change to the pond until next June. Other than a dusting of powder from crushing. I see no reason this stone could cause this huge ecological change. Am I wrong? The state puts this along the road, next to trout streams all the time.
I contacted a retired, commissioner of the fish and game department. He said is sounds like a the acidity level must have taken a huge rise. He said water tests can run about $1000 a piece. :eek:
There's only to houses about 100 yds through the woods. No farms or anything else for that matter, above the pond.
It has been Very wet the last two summers. I wondering if one of the houses has septic problems, The stone I put in, or something else is causing this problem.
Any advice is appreciated. :) Here's some pics. The one of the woods is where the runoff comes from in the spring and during heavy rain.
picsoftroutpond019.jpg

picsoftroutpond016.jpg

picsoftroutpond014.jpg

picsoftroutpond004.jpg

picsoftroutpond005.jpg

picsoftroutpond006.jpg

We did 3 tests today.

Culligan water test for hardness, nitrites and nitrates This was taken towards the inlet. That's where the algae is worst.

Soft water
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-5 Below EPA standards

Aquacheck PH taken toards the inlet.

Water PH 6.2-6.5

A Rapitest PH soil test taken from sludge/much washed in on the limestone.

Soil PH 6-6.5

Why has the ecosystem change so rapidly, and why are my fish dying?

The end of the pond where the runoff comes in was dug shallow. Stones were thrown in a 6 foot circle. Springs force fresh water up over the stones. The trout spawn here. The fresh water keeps bacteria from forming, and killing the eggs. It's very rare to get a successful hatch out of a pond. Right now, the entire shallow end is heavily covered with algae. There wasn't one piece of it a year ago.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Welcome and hello.

When you say algae, is it string algae? Wondering if you had an ammonia spike with the spawn and that prompted the fish dying and then the string algae. Are the fish still dying? I'm a newbie, so I'll let one of the experts chime in.

Reaction score
Hi Mike & welcome.
Your property is beautiful it looks like it is a nature preserve... Sorry that your fish are dying. I am not an expert or I wouldn't have had a major crisis with my 30 year old pond, first time ever and it came down to poor water quality. Have you looked at some of your deceased fish to see if they show any signs of disease? Some of my fish had bacterial infections - red splotches all over,others had fungus and then Ick showed up or a combo of these. I think the severe cold winter initiated the woe. Were any new fish added to your pond? My sister wanted to buy new fish for me and i told her not to because they need to be quarantined. Yes everyone I am going to quarantine my new fish when I buy them next year.
If your fish don't show outright signs of disease maybe a poison got in. Have you found any other dead animals, like frogs or toads or birds? A section of our Rocky River in Cuyahoga County Ohio had a massive die off. A merchant dumped chemical into a storm sewer to dispose of it and 1000 fish were killed along a mile of the river. The Divisions of Water and Wildlife investigation found the culprit who finally admitted it. Part of the penalties was to pay per dead fish. Do you think that someone added a few fish or worse put a toxic liquid in for a prank or accidentally spilled something near your pond? Can you find a vet that can examine your fish? A clue might be the road salt ( does road salt contain other chemicals?) got washed in? "" There's a culvert that goes under the driveway. (Water only runs through here during heavy rain, and snow melt for about 4 weeks in the spring)"" Check your phosphate levels that can be reasons for the increase of plant growth - fertilizer run off from an adjacent land? I hope you can find the cause.. Rose

Reaction score
My guess would be low DO levels. Trout prefer colder water and high oxygen levels, they don't do well in warm, still (stagnant) waters.
As far as testing the water, there are pretty good test kits you can buy for around $100 that can test a lot of the parameters, and thermometers are cheap,however devices for measuring dissolved oxygen are a little pricey.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can use aquarium and pond test kits that are well under a $100 to cover most of the parameters. As for the D.O. meter, yes they are a little more but IMO, for your circumstances not a bad investment. I'm thinking one that the feeding is adding more and more nutrients as the pond continues to mature. Also with acidic water PH fluctuations can change rather rapidly from morning until night and vice versa. Some stocked farm ponds require adding fertilizer and or lime to help ,maintain the ecosystem. I would check with local farm pond dealers that stock fish or your local DWLF to ask for help in finding assistance In your area. In the meantime adding aeration is fairly cheap and with trout, never a bad thing to have running anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All great info, everyone. The pond is spring fed, and the water is always cold enough for trout. It hadn't reached 50 degrees, when this started. I'll look into ordering some better test kits, and possibly get one of the fish tested, to find the cause of death, as Rose suggested.

The water was real clear, after the ice went out. I noticed it did cloud up about when this happened. I thought it was strange for so early in the summer. The pond seems to be clearing now. I pulled out 4 dead trout about 5 days ago. I notice the remaining fish are surface feeding on bugs now. The water is much clearer, too.

Keep in mind trout have thrived in this pond for 20 years. Even when the water level had dropped due to extreme drought, I never lost fish. The bottom is solid ledge. That keeps the water cold, in combination with the springs. I went scuba diving in it last August. The water was colder in the bottom ,than lake George in may (48 degrees). Something has changed. I feel I need to know what caused the problem to begin with. The source had to come from above the pond. Perhaps, a neighbor dumped something, or has a bad septic.

I'll keep checking in, and post back when/if I find some answers.

Thanks,

Mike

Reaction score
Some sort of toxic dump is certainly possible,,, no way any of us can help you determine that, but oxygen depletion is still the most likely cause, and algae blooms are often associated with summer fish kills.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_kill
http://keetonaquatics.com/fish-kill/summer-kill/

You have a nice little spot there,,,, too bad about the lost fish. I would think about installing an aeration system as Larkin suggested to help prevent it happening again. You could probably just put it on a timer and run it during the wee hours of the morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
First off, this is a great forum you people have. At this point, I have got over the fish loss. Fish can be replaced. The pond, not as easy. I am going to assume that whatever caused the string algae? outbreak is no longer contaminating the pond. (for now) I took the 10' River John, a rake and the dog out today. I got 3 heaping wheelbarrow loads of algae, out of the shallow end (4 to 5 feet deep) Stones were thrown in after digging 20 years ago, in a 6 foot circle. There's springs underneath. That's why I have been able to get a successful hatch. The fresh water keeps bacteria from killing the eggs.

I am going to clean the pond up as best I can. I will continue to search for the cause. I may dig a very small pond above this one, in the woods. This may help contain any future pollution. Maybe put some hay bales where the water comes out of it, or something to help purify the water. Then, buy some fish in the spring.

I'll browse the forum, when I get a chance. I would like to learn what type of plants do well in ponds. My second pond has nothing but a few cattails

Thanks for the help,

Mike.

picsoftroutpond008.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It only takes for a few minutes of low oxygen to dip below 5ppm (mg/l) to kill a trout.

Would suspect the increase in plant life, acidic inputs, anoxic conditions are accumulating with the years on what is more or less a still pond

If you pen trout into an area where you can apply an air diffuser you can maintain safer oligotrophic conditions

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, I got home a few minutes ago to discover that I had lost my trout pond. I'm not sure what happened but, I would guess the 8 inch drain froze, and split all the way to the bottom. It's hard to tell because there's over 3 feet of snow on the ground. I do know that it has washed out under the drain. So, over 80,000 gallons has poured into my second pond. I expect that has caused quite a bit of damage there too. It's pretty much a pond lovers worst nightmare. I'll try to check back in a few days, when I know more. Bye bye fish, plants and pond. Not to mention the ice dam that caused water to come into the living room and office earlier this week. There's about 3K in damage there.

Ask a Question