A problem with one of my trout ponds!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Mike in Vermont, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Mike in Vermont

Mike in Vermont

No, I haven't. That is an interesting idea.

Mike in Vermont, Feb 28, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Mike in Vermont

R.Rose

Mike, I am sorry to learn of your pond disaster. I would have replied when I saw your emailed postt but I forgot my password to this forum.

R.Rose, Mar 6, 2015
    Mike in Vermont likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Mike in Vermont

Mike in Vermont

It's been over 2 years, so I thought I would update this thread. I've spent the last 3 summers dredging the algae out of the pond. I'm not sure I will ever get id of all of it, which is unfortunate. It is currently down to small patches in various spots around the pond. It only grows about 6 inches high. Some of it was 8 feet in 2014.
    I believe I have discovered the cause just this year. There's a gravel road all grown up to trees that is between me and the house next door. When I was originally looking for the source, I didn't see a culvert under the road. Well, this year I checked it out closer. There is a culvert. There is also a ditch that goes through the center of the neighbors lawn, which slopes on both sides towards the ditch.
    I believe the problem actually started one year earlier. (in 2013) I went diving in the pond that summer in August. There was a severe white haze in the water. It was so bad, I had to feel to find the bottom. I didn't give it too much thought. After being on this forum, I now know that is bad. The summer of 2013 was extremely wet. Perhaps the wettest on record. I am sure my neighbors pooped in my pond big time that year. I am also sure the entire ditch and where the water runs through the woods on my property is still contaminated. It's only a matter of time until this happens again.

I'm not sure who I should contact but, I am looking for some remedy for the problem and possibly compensation for the time, money and loss of fish. Not to mention the disturbance of the eco system in the pond. My pond was always crystal clear. That has not been the case since this happened. I suppose a bog will have to be built as well.
    The good news is, the fish are doing great.

Mike in Vermont, Oct 18, 2016
  4. Mike in Vermont

bettasngoldfish Maria

Thanks for the update

Hopefully you will find a solution now thst you realized the problem.

bettasngoldfish, Oct 25, 2016
    Mike in Vermont likes this.
  5. Mike in Vermont

Mike in Vermont

I am open to any suggestions, as to how to proceed.

Mike in Vermont, Oct 28, 2016
  6. Mike in Vermont

MitchM

I had a similar problem on my property a few years ago, a drilling company constructed a new road to a new drilling site and the runoff from the new road filled our natural pond with clay silt. The pond looked like a mud pit for almost 2 weeks, smothering much of the aquatic and plant life.
    My only remedy was to call our local bylaw enforcement which could only make the oil company erect barriers in the ditch so that it didn't happen again. The road was already built, so what would be the point of that?

Other than an expensive lawsuit where I would have to prove damages, there wasn't much I could do.
    The pond returned to it's previous state eventually.

It sounds like you would need to determine who owns and who is responsible for the local waterways and runoff and then see what laws exist to ensure their responsible management.

MitchM, Oct 29, 2016
  7. Mike in Vermont

Mike in Vermont

I appreciate the post, Mitch. I wish I would have found the problem shortly after it happened. On the other hand, I don't want to wait until it happens again. I don't know the people that own the house. I have thought of contacting them about this first. It's not a conversation I would look forward to.

Mike in Vermont, Oct 29, 2016
  8. Mike in Vermont

MitchM

You could test the water entering your pond with our basic hobbyist test kits. Try testing for phosphate and nitrate, see what the numbers tell you.
    If the problem is a seasonal one, after they fertilize their lawn or something, you may need to take a number of tests over a period of time.

Testing the water already in your pond won't tell you much, the algae will be doing it's job consuming the nutrients.

MitchM, Oct 29, 2016
    addy1 and Mike in Vermont like this.
  9. Mike in Vermont

budgenator

Some times you can see some very interesting things on Google Earth. I noticed a couple lines on Google Earth that indicated county drains, one even had a name. My Neighbor’s plowing kept turning turning the named county drain into a pond. Simply taking a blade on my tractor and digging a swale straight down the property line to match the line on google earth to the named ditch solved obnoxious spring melt flooding into my pond.
    I would consider putting some diversionary berms and swales around my ponds if I were you. Getting any run off from there property for fecal bacteria might not be a bad idea either, it might be a septic problem which would have heath considerations for you as well as your fish.

budgenator, Nov 1, 2016
    addy1 and Mike in Vermont like this.
    1. Advertisements