A pump to take water to my waterfall?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its pouring with rain so I don't fancy going out to accurately measure my pond which I think is about 2 meters wide X 1 meter deep X 6 meters long which equals 12 cubic meters or 12,000 litres I hope. The pump will lay on the pond floor which will be about one meter deep and then have to carry the water round the back of the waterfall which will be at least another meter. My wife likes the sound of trickling water so would anyone care to make a suggestion as to what size/make of pump I should go for.
A secondary question is should one switch such a pump of at nightfall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Although I am not too knowledgeable in the world of bang for your buck pond pumps, I use the VIVIOSUN 1600GPH and it has treated me well, but my pond is much smaller (approx. 500gal). 4000-5000gph is what I would use for your pond. You do not need to turn your pump off at night.

4000-5000gph = 15,000-19,000lph (liters per hour)

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my suggestion would be to keep your pump OFF the bottom as it'll suck debris and distribute it to your waterfall, which will in turn make your water column more turbid.

Whatever pump size you use, I'd T off and put valves on each lead; this allows you to customize the exact 'sound' and visual you want from your waterfall. The other lead can either go to your filter, or just use as circulation. I've done similar and just let this secondary lead agitate the surface for more aeration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No advice on pump size - you just want to shoot for twice the size of the pond. So if you pond is 1000 gallons, you want a 2000GPH pump. Different countries carry different brands.

I will answer one question though - your pump, if it supplies water to any kind of filtration, needs to run 24/7. If it's just a water feature, you can shut it off at night if you choose.

Do you have fish in this pond?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No fish yet because I still need to plant it which is a bit of a problem because when I built the pond I didn’t realise the importance of having shelves at different depths. When I do have fish it will probably be Goldfish or something as simple and I have to consider Heron protection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No fish yet because I still need to plant it which is a bit of a problem because when I built the pond I didn’t realise the importance of having shelves at different depths. When I do have fish it will probably be Goldfish or something as simple and I have to consider Heron protection.
you can add shelves by framing out of pvc and adding plastic chicken wire (zip tied to the frame you make). If you build these, make sure you drill some holes low on the legs so you can easily sink/remove them if necessary. Other ideas, depending on how deep you need to be and the depth of your pond; milk crates, plastic shelving units, hanging your pots via wire/string/rope from the pond edge. I'd done all these when my shelves were not high enough or non-existent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pump size for a waterfall varies greatly on the height of the falls how wide the falls is to be and if you want a trickle or your looking for a sheet flow of water over the falls. So without more info it's impossible to say but here's a very small indication of how what may sound like a ton of water for a falls is actually pretty lame. you tube the below text

(26) 5 Pump Display. How To Pick The Right Pump For Your Pond. - YouTube

Last edited:

Ask a Question