A question about bird houses

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In general (assuming and knowing that bird species do differ in their nesting preferences), do you think it matters (to the birds) how a bird house is oriented as far as whether it faces N, S, E, or W? I have one I want to hang on a post, but I’m conflicted about which side of the post to hang it on. The post is an unused basketball goal (now a base for Hubby’s weather station), and is totally exposed, so obviously “exposure” hasn’t been an issue for them in the past.

This one is for Tuffed Titmice, that have previously nested in the open, exposed post. I want to provide an option in case they reject the post that I modified a week or so ago. Guessing I would position the bird house just below the top opening of the post, to keep the height where the birds are used to having it.

Post before modification.
B8069510-824D-4FE7-98D0-920E4BDA9B9D.jpeg

Post after modification.
52283773-FB12-4948-9C28-879AE78BA319.jpeg

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
East is usually the preferred but honestly I just hang them and they all get used. Birds have nested in every direction in my yard.
I was thinking “east,” as well since we tend to get some nasty hot western sun exposure here in LA!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As @RobAmy said, East is the best way, since morning sun will shine in and warm the birds after cool nights. In nature, cavities face all directions and birds will use them if they're the right size, regardless of direction. In my yard, I have houses facing north, south, east, and west. The ones facing east tend to be the ones that are occupied first, but they all become occupied at some point throughout spring.

The most important thing is having the appropriate size house with the appropriate hole size and hole height on the box itself. That varies depending on the specie you want to use it. The closer you come to the recommended size, the more likely you are to attract the correct bird and have a successful nesting season.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@RobAmy Oh my, that looks exactly like the house I have! It’s cedar and I got it at LOWE’S last week. I’ll have to double-check the hole, but 1-1/4” sounds about right. Except I don’t recall the drainage holes (can drill those myself), and there is a ventilation gap on each side, at the top edge. Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to fix some of my bird houses, make some new ones, they are getting old and falling apart. But at the spring festival market I scored a bunch of bird houses, nicely made, with a clean out door. He gave me a reduced price since I bought 10, 9 bucks a piece.
I threw some stain on them and hung them outside.

img_2442-jpg.110362

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Your image didn’t show up.

@RobAmy The opening might be 1-1/4” — I don’t have ladder access right now, but stuck a tape measure up there as close as I could get it extended and it looked like it was slightly past the 1” mark. If the hole ends up being slightly larger — other than maybe attracting unwanted birds — will it still work? There is a bolt attached to the post (former basketball goal) that I hung it from, so at the moment it’s facing north. I just hope it attracts birds and not wasps — a big problem here!

A162AE74-1B2D-4418-8A8A-A6E7AA975664.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
will it still work?
Yes it will, just think in the wild woodpeckers make all random size holes. It is just more what they prefer and helps keep other species from competing with them. More so a problem if really small then they just can't fit in the hole. A wren box comes to mind, you will never see a bluebird in one but you will see a wren in a bluebird house.

Ask a Question