A question about carp pox [goldfish] and a possible genetic connection....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
While researching "carp pox" a while back, I found all the usual information:
  • it's not contagious
  • it can show up due to stress and/or poor water conditions
  • it's worse in cold water [gets better during the summer]
  • there is no cure or treatment
  • they're not sure why some fish get it and some don't *

* Related to that final point, several sources speculate that there is a genetic component involved. IOW, some fish just might have a greater tendency to "come down with" carp pox due to their genetics -- fish with that tendency are more likely to pass it on to their offspring.

Think of it like human conditions, say type 2 diabetes. You may have a family history of type 2 DM, which puts you in a higher risk category for developing it, but if you lead a healthy life-style, eat right, etc., you might or might not ever develop it. And allergies -- some people are just more prone to developing allergies, which tend to be genetic, etc., etc.

Assuming that the "genetic connection" is true, if you have a goldfish with carp pox, even though the fish is happy & healthy otherwise, should that fish be removed [euthanized] in order to improve the gene pool in your pond?

@fishin4cars @Dave 54 @crsublette @Meyer Jordan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done Maggie yes I would say that in general koi pox is not contagios to other fish .
It may well show up due to stress.poor water conditions .
There is a cure but that is down to the koi's immune system
However my water perameters are all good and have been all winter , I' did water changes throughout the winter months yet my Doitsu Korromo has it but no-one else .
Slow down here somewhat asuming that the genetic connection is correct and we have a koi with koi pox or you with fish pox its other name.
Just because a fish has what in reality" is a very mild form of herpes", then why on earth do you want to Euthanize it because as I have said" given time and the fish will cure itself.] .
As to the length it may take to disapear and be cured, up to 2-3 years sometimes longer but it does disapear in the end .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Carp Pox is referred to as Cyprinid Herpes Virus 1 and to be sure I checked. Basicvally koi pox is a harmless yet aesthetic problem which very common to Koi.
It is a temperature related, virus as it only shows itself in colder water tempratures, only to disappear later as the water begins to warm again.
You will see white to pink lumps on fins, tails, or bodies of the Koi unsightly yes but it is only the koi mounting an immune system fight back.
I do have to say though that because of the fact this is a virus, it is contagious, however it has been found that it is not a real threat in most situations, nor is it worth isolating this koi from the rest of them fish from the rest of the koi that you have in the pond or QT unit.
However the likelihood of its spreading also increases as the amount of koi in the pond do......
"So a very crowded pond with a heavy load of koi , or one that there has been no maintenance on i;e detritus both in pond or its filters are dirty then the greater the risk.......... .
Then it is obvious that it is going to spread due to the increased degree of physical contact between fish in a dirty enviroment" .
So as I always say it pays to keep things clean in the koi world it equates to good healthy koi.
I have one case out of 12 or so koi run in a clean System so it goes to show in reality just how much it speads
The problem we have is this is a viral thing which means according to a good friend that the DNA of our infected koi has become damaged because of the Koi Pox........
Our next question is ok what can we do to treat our koi to try rid it of the Cyprinid Herpes Virus 1
Treatment of koi pox what can be done, well there are a number of cures out on the market that claim to cure koi pox usually immunostimulants that boost the immune system to help it combat infected cells........
However as already stated at the begining of this post "the koi's own immune system can recognise that a cell that is damaged by the virus has started to behave oddly".. And sets about destroying them all "one cell at a time", and it has to do this without damaging uninfected cells.....

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question