A question about cattails

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Last year I collected some cattails growing in the ditches (seems to grow everywhere here despite being so dry). I have a few plants survive and growing this year. Lots of stems about 5' tall, and at the top they split out into what looks like several clumps of seeds. However, none of them are growing into the typical cattail head? At first I thought it might be a difference of male and female plants, except all the ones I collected had the heads when I brought them home. The only thing I can think of is that the cattail stems grow up separately from the regular stems? I just don't know, this is the first time I've gotten any form of cattail to grow in my pond.

So, can someone please tell me what to expect?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
As I mentioned, they had the heads on them when I dug them up last year. The ditches are full of them around here, and the round hollow stems are typical of what I've seen... However I can try to get specific pics tomorrow, but this is the best I have right now. The cattails are centered right in front of the irises, and you can see some of the clusters of seeds(?) near the top.

http://sourpuss.net/projects/pond/2014/2014-07-19/IMG_8354.JPG

Let me know if you want a detailed pic of any particular aspect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
From the picture it looks like Bulrush, strange that they had heads on them. Interested to see what others say.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see what looks like old cattail plants behind the iris. Is it possible the bulrush was also growing in the same area? I have tried several times to move cattails from roadside ditches and had no luck in getting them to grow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As I mentioned, they had the heads on them when I dug them up last year. The ditches are full of them around here, and the round hollow stems are typical of what I've seen... However I can try to get specific pics tomorrow, but this is the best I have right now. The cattails are centered right in front of the irises, and you can see some of the clusters of seeds(?) near the top.

http://sourpuss.net/projects/pond/2014/2014-07-19/IMG_8354.JPG

Let me know if you want a detailed pic of any particular aspect.

Those leaves, at least in comparison to the ones that grow around here and the ones in my pond, look different than cattails, but there are many types of cattails. What do the seed pods look like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Hmm checking on google, I see cattails are supposed to have flat leaves, although the stem that holds the actual cattail looks like the round stems I have growing. Now I'm really confused, but you're right -- those seed pods I have definitely look like bulrushes.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Various water plants grow intermingled with the cattails. You dug up more than one type of plant, and the cattails didn't come back, but the bulrushes did.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I get the feeling cattails aren't supposed to be grown IN the water, just in a damp area nearby. I generally see them in areas that get flooded for a few weeks, then dry out. Ah well, I like the bulrushes too, plus I got a bunch of snake grass growing around the pond now too. I think I have at least 30 different kinds of plants growing in and around the pond now. It looks kind of hectic, but also feels more natural that way. The area in the picture above is probably one of the more 'organized' locations, and there's at least 10 different plants that I can spot right away.

Ask a Question