A question about pond vs pool-to pond conversion

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We might move. Of course, the pond goes with us, one way or another! As does the turtle habitat. In general, we aren’t giving consideration to homes with built in swimming pools — we don’t want a pool. BUT, as per a video that [I think @Lisak1] was posted recently, I was able to see what goes into a pool-to pond conversion.

I know it’s not fair to ask, “which is cheaper,” or, “which is easier to accomplish,” since there have to be multiple factors to consider...... But in general, which do you guys think would be a better choice (this time around ALL POND CONSTRUCTION WILL BE HIRED OUT — don’t EVER want to dig and build my own, ever again!).

I mean, if “the house” happens to have a pool......and the hole’s already there. You hate to pass up the perfect home just because it has a pool!

• Starting from scratch with a new pond?
  • Converting a swimming pool into a pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hardest part to a pond from a pool that I can see is no shallow planting areas. but the concrete pool has its appeal as well such as can't hurt the Liner. if you made one whole side of the pond into a raised wheeping bog that would fix that problem on one side anyways and you could always make reverse flower baskets and just hang them into the water And to have a deep end that's 8 feet or more boulders at the bottom watch the fish swim in and out yeah i'd g with the pool a hole lot less head aches. the only issue I can see is the coing being poped off by ice but if you drop water leel a little in the winter case solved? another bummer is smoth sides not boulders but that could be altered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would build unless you find a good candidate. If you build you will get what you want instead of a bunch of compromises.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No dig it is fun to rent a small digger and dig a hole .I just wish they had more than 1 rental place here .Had friends that rented one but had no clue how to run it ,but I knew and showed them but it was hard giving them the reigns to it when I was having fun .But darn owner wanted to try it after instructions:( .Some fails but he got it :)I lost ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, we just put a contract on a home that does not have a pool, so.......no longer an issue. Now will get to do a new build — but hiring it out this time around!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I had someone hired to build my pond, I would have them dig a small pool for myself, even just a little one I could sit in when really hot out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I had someone hired to build my pond, I would have them dig a small pool for myself, even just a little one I could sit in when really hot out.
My sister wants a small pool too....says they're called "cocktail pools" or "splash pools " :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cocktail pool or a splash pool, hmmm that's a hard choice. Good job I'm not planning a dig anytime soon.

Ask a Question