A question about spooking the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I couldn't find anything really relating to my question, so I thought I would ask. Today I was getting out the last of my hyacinth and I was going to get the leaves that have fallen into the pond out, but in doing so my fish we darting around quite a bit. I'm not sure what my water temp is right now, other than it's cold lol. Would it be best to leave the leafs until spring and not stir up my fish?

Reaction score
I'd say get the leaves out, your fish will be o.k. It's my first year and my first clean out getting ready for winter. I am CONSTANTLY getting any little scripit of leaf I see and my fish recover just fine I think. Sounds like they are just being fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't find anything really relating to my question, so I thought I would ask. Today I was getting out the last of my hyacinth and I was going to get the leaves that have fallen into the pond out, but in doing so my fish we darting around quite a bit. I'm not sure what my water temp is right now, other than it's cold lol. Would it be best to leave the leafs until spring and not stir up my fish?
It is vitally important thatthe leaves be taken out of the pond prior to the winter months , perhaps you may find it better in future to net against leaves as many of the forums other members do this stops water quality issues becoming a problem in late spring early summer .
If your worried about a place for them to hide out in then perhaps add a pipe to the pond bottom or an old bucket .
For future reference ypur best option for removing leaves is mid autumn before the temperatures start to dip down to the colder temperatures we see in winter .
As a matter of interest Cnyle when was the last time you cleaned out your filters as this is another job you needed to have finished mid Autumn ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead today and got out as much as I could. I also changed my my filter today Dave, so I believe I'm all good to go. I did net the pond today, but the leaves that had gotten in there are from a Sand Cherry that drops their leaves earlier than the other trees, so I didn't get enough of a jump on them. Thanks again. Oh, and Lisabetten, I was just concerned that maybe I might upset the balance of my fish, since they had already stopped eating a week or so ago, and they weren't moving very quick, except when I started digging around ha.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fish, like all other creatures, are keenly aware of even the slightest change in their environment. You were, from their viewpoint, a temporary intruder. They will be OK.

Ask a Question