a quick question about my first pond

Reaction score
I started digging my first pond today it will be 9ft x 5ft and 4 ft deep i want to keep koi carp. i have done a quick drawing of how its will look can you please have a look and see if it will be good for koi carp at the 2ft end i will be puting a rock waterfall

thanks

IMG_01161.JPG

IMG_01171.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is around 1300 gallons, you can keep koi, but not many. You will need to make sure you have good filtration and cleaning.

The koi would do better in a bigger pond. They get big, 2 foot plus, need room to swim. Those that keep koi will chime in. I don't have koi, but have read a lot of threads about them. They are beautiful fish, but are also fussy about their water.

Nice drawing, that pond will look nice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and addy is right my koi were a couple of inches long in 2004 and they are now over 2 feet long and they need a lot of filtering in there water and it needs tested more often .I have 2 filters going one on each end of the pond and 2 pumps going also .They are very fussy about water quality and take a lot more work and time .

Reaction score
another quick one is this setup i have done right or does the pump pipe need to go in abit lower down or could i spilt it as i do want a waterfall??? or is it another pump job???

sorry its a lot a questions but now i have started digging the pond i have thought about nothing else

thanks alot

View attachment pond.bmp

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use one pump with high enough gph and two hoses ,one goes to the waterfall and the other goes to the filter and I have a valve on it to reduce the amount of water going to the filter .It works great on the 2900 gph pump but on the 940 gph I just divert the water to 2 hoses

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is a little over 4 feet but may take it to 5 feet by building up the sides of the pond more.Keeps the fish cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have just one pump that has split flow. Mine is an external pump

Ask a Question