A simple trick to eliminating algae blooms

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
I found out about this trick from our local koi store Sierra Water Gardens here in Reno, NV. If you take an old fashioned air pump with a simple air stone place it in your pond it will keep the algae blooms down. I thought this was a little to simple to actually work but I tried it in my pond with a simple air pump from my kids fish tank. I only used it during the times of direct sunlight on the pond and in 2 days I am able to see the bottom again. The way it was explained to me is that the algae thrives in low oxygen which normally occurs during peak peak sunlight. By using an air stone it eliminates that issue.

The store owner Sutter said that in just 1 day of usage he noticed string algae peeling off the rocks of one of the 5000 gallon ponds. Later I will run a long air line from the power and under the deck and make it a permanant feature thats not visible externally.

Attachments

• 100_4261.jpg
    100_4261.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 480
  • 100_4262.jpg
    100_4262.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 433

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, sissy has good airstones running, she says her algae is kept at bay with them.

I

Reaction score
What a great idea this is. This gives me more the reason to get a aerator for my pond. I am using a small submersible pump for now to aerate my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That does it! I'm going to use my new pump I bought for one of my inside aquariums along with the air stones (will get a larger one eventually) and put them in the pond! I'm getting WAY too anxious to see the bottom again. I'm so envious of other's pictures of clear water. I know, in time, but hey, never hurts to try to hurry the issue along. :) Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Do you have to protect the pump from the outside elements,rain etc ? The other day I stopped at my LPS and questioned him about this. He said that I would probably have to cover the pump with something. The cost of a aquarium pump sure beats the price of a pond aerator pump.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gomer14 said:
Do you have to protect the pump from the outside elements,rain etc ? The other day I stopped at my LPS and questioned him about this. He said that I would probably have to cover the pump with something. The cost of a aquarium pump sure beats the price of a pond aerator pump.

I took a cheap oil pan from wally world, laid it over the air pump, leaving plenty of room for air flow, stuck a rock on top to keep the winds for blowing it off. Some day we will build a little pump house......maybe lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
idea! Thanks! I'm going to see if I can build a bird house to put mine in! A Mini pump house.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gomer14 said:

Aquarium pumps work fine for shallow applications as long as the pump is protected, but don't push the limits, about 36" is the deepest most aqarium pumps are designed for, Any deeper and you'll find your cracking diaphrams from trying to overcome bottom (Hydrostatic)pressure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, sounds like the aquarium pump is maybe not such a good idea after all. I was trying to figure out the tubing to use, too. BUT, I still have the Sunterra pump, that got clogged up or something while I was on vacation, cleaned it and it's been working ever since, AND I bought a Laguna since figured the Sunterra would crap out again. So, I actually have 2 large pump so think I will make this my weekend project on the pond. (That's after priming and painting 2 large barns tomorrow afternoon and all day Thurs...like I need another project. LOL) The pond project will be so very relaxing after the harder work. And anything to help get rid of the algae or at least circulate the green water so it can get cleared up some. So far not much change. How long should a UV light take to show some change in the water clarity? It's been in operation since Saturday. I was hoping to see some results by now. :-(

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Being a new pond it could take a while to get really clear, It may not look like the UV is doing much but it's probably doing a lot! It could take a couple of month's from the original start-up of the filters for things to settle down, this is where a new pond will try your patience. keep a eye on the water conditions, as long as they stay in check the pond will balance, One day it will be murky and kind of green and one day you'll walk out to crystal clear water. Remember, the more the plants take off the faster they use the nutrients, the faster the nutrients are used up the better the UV will work as it will kill the cells that cause the pea soup green water, Once your water is clear for about a week you can unplug the UV light and monitor. Most of the time the water will stay clear if no overfeeding is done for the rest of the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great info, Fishin, thanks!!!
Now here's something I was wondering about, too. My water hyacinths seems to not be doing that well, getting yellow and brown leaves, but they do seem to be getting "babies". I bought 1 water lettuce, too, and it seems to be having a hard time as well. I have all of these in a ring. The plants I have in the bog area seem to be doing great. I moved the floating plants out of there, since the water that feeds the bog does go through the skimmer first, and I was worried maybe too much of the nutrients were getting filtered out.
Maybe I just have not-so-healthy plants?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You most likely do not have a large bio load yet, the plants are wanting food. Try putting your floaters in a tub with pond water and some miracle grow for a few days. My plants took a while to get going, our pond was doing the new pond, low bio load this spring

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Great info, Fishin, thanks!!!
Now here's something I was wondering about, too. My water hyacinths seems to not be doing that well, getting yellow and brown leaves, but they do seem to be getting "babies". I bought 1 water lettuce, too, and it seems to be having a hard time as well. I have all of these in a ring. The plants I have in the bog area seem to be doing great. I moved the floating plants out of there, since the water that feeds the bog does go through the skimmer first, and I was worried maybe too much of the nutrients were getting filtered out.
Maybe I just have not-so-healthy plants?

Hey Country,
I had the same issue. Turned out the fish were not yet creating enough waste to feed the plants. Everything was in balance, but the water lettuce and hyacinth were browning and dying. Here was my saga: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/plant-fertilization-t8181.html

My pond just needed a boost until the fish get bigger. I hope this helps.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
idea! Thanks! I'm going to see if I can build a bird house to put mine in! A Mini pump house.

Maybe make a duck house instead that way it would be bigger and allow for more air movement around the pump as well as look good next to your pond.

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a catagory called "Pond Keeping Tips" to keep a compilation of tips such as this one presented by Credes.

Ask a Question