A "Sky Bog"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He is easy going and won't be mad! Right? Timothy? lol

Meh, hes outside putting in pipes and building things and all that....he will be back! Haha!

No worries.
Reading about the poison oak and ivy reminded me of a kid in school back in the dark ages that said he was immune to poison ivy. To prove it he rubbed it all over his face, arms, and even chewed some. He missed an awful lot of school over the next couple of weeks.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No worries.
Reading about the poison oak and ivy reminded me of a kid in school back in the dark ages that said he was immune to poison ivy. To prove it he rubbed it all over his face, arms, and even chewed some. He missed an awful lot of school over the next couple of weeks.........
Oh my! Thats what you get for bragging! Lol! I did know that kid though, my best friend. That somebeech actually was immune! I hated him for it too, lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My husband is immune, it do not bother him one bit. But I am the one that does the yard work, grooming etc. So I get exposed to it all of the time. I have started wearing long sleeves and pants when mowing, take a dawn dish soap bath when I am done, it cuts the oils. Constantly on the look out for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Time for an update. It's been a couple of weeks since the system was placed "on line" and everything is doing well. Using pea gravel in one box and lava rocks in the other made no difference whatsoever to this point. The lava rock side (right side) is slightly lighter but when this old man was lugging the bags up the ladder you'd have thought they were lead by the sounds and grunts. Granted the plants had to be put in a little deeper to prevent them from floating up, but since neither the PG or LR provide any nutrients (purely a function of the pond water,) at this point the decision to use either would seem to be a matter of preference and/or availability.
The distance from the pump (approximately 44 ft.) and the bog's height (10 ft above the pond surface) work well to keep the water flow modest and prevent the current from tending to scour out the troughs.
This is where we are today keeping in mind our spring has been marginal temperature wise;
DSC02360.JPG DSC02362.JPG DSC02361.JPG
The return which will be better disguised in the near future is just behind the frog. The other hose in the middle of the second image is a temporary hose that I hook up when rain is forecast. It and another hose on the other end of the pond are attached to downspouts from the garage roof which nets the pond three times the amount of rain that falls. ( A half inch of rain will bring the pond level up 1 1/2" ) Being on a well this has proved to be very beneficial.
DSC02365.JPG DSC02366.JPG
The second hose can be seen just before the mermaid.
DSC02364.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you!
Now it's a wait and see what happens scenario. The creeping jenny has taken hold in both boxes and is beginning to send out tendrils which I'm training to "flow" over the edge.
So far everything is working out well; turn on the pump, open the valve and the cycle is complete. I'll post updates on this every so often - the good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like creeping jenny, right now blooming a pretty yellow flower. That is going to look neat Tim trailing creeping jenny

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like creeping jenny, right now blooming a pretty yellow flower. That is going to look neat Tim trailing creeping jenny

Thank you!
I like the creeping jenny as well. It has a nice tight texture that covers well and is even hard for me to kill!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here's a couple photo's of the "sky bog" today;
DSC02458.JPG DSC02455.JPG
The big bog was getting pretty thick with growth so I decided to cull a little out. The root systems that had developed along the edges were like carpet! Here's a couple shots of what came out........
DSC02448.JPG DSC02452.JPG

Happy Father's Day to all you dad's!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They grow like weeds. I have to constantly yank extras.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They grow like weeds. I have to constantly yank extras.

Those root systems are incongruous. They are in fact the filter of the system, but are also what may slow the water down and cause a back up. It's not hard to haul whole sections of roots out, but I was surprised at how dense they are. I just haul out four or five pounds of them, shake off the tads, and wing the roots into the woods.:)

Ask a Question