A throughly nice afternoon out koi hunting in Plymouth UK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had Jas one of the Plymouth members of the Koi Keeper Unleashed website that I run, come round wanting us to come out and pick some koi Yesterday.
After talking koi we went out to Maidenhead aquatics which as a matter of interest to any history buffs is a Palmeston follie Nepolionic era gun battery half a mile away from Crownhill fort which is the nearest full fort and is now a working museum.
The good Lord built a whole ring of forts and Batterys, all facing inland because Lord Palmeston was convinced that rather than invaid from the sea the French would invaid inland, it never happened and they were nicknamed as Follies see link:-

http://www.victorianforts.co.uk/palmerston.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crownhill_Fort

However I digress we went there to have a look at their first shipment of koi from Japan via Belgium.
Jas was looking for a kuhaku whilst we were on the look out for anything that was different .
Jas settled on a Albino Koi/Akame Kigoi which was quite a nice one at that
This was because in all our eyes that the kuhakus were nothing special to look at .
We found a different looking koi and decided to take a risk on it, in the hope that it grows up a nice Tancho but with a black back unlike the Tancho Sanke which has black markings over a white back a tancho can in reality be any colour as long as it has the circular marking on its head
As it is at the moment only a few inches long we are taking huge a risk, that it will grow up the way it looks now (fingers crossed on this).
But as all we koi keepers know with koi, sometimes they never turn out the way you want them to do, or they do and they become a stunning fish which is a big plus to your pond.
At the moment they are in quarentine at Maidenhead for the next week or so. its only then can we have it
As our QT system isnt up and running as yet weve had Jas volunteer to look after the koi for us and bring it on a tad... before we put it in our pond via our own QT system which should be up and running by then.
After that we took a drive down to Emporer Tropicals which is about a mile away from the fort to have a look what they had there.
At the moment the outdoor koi section is empty awaiting a shipment and there were only a few sturgeon swimming around outside.
So instead we both bought some koi food reay for the summer months.
It's a brilliant prebiotic food made by Pond Care a food that we found two years ago and which really gives our koi a boost in both health and colour.
The full name of this food is Pond Care Nutri Pearl Prebiotic koi food as to if you can buy it in the US and Canada I dont know but for any british koi keepers on this site give it a try.
As I said weve been using it for over two years now with brilliant results.
At this the moment in time its on special offer i;e buy one get one free, which at £21.00 a bag isnt a bad saving .
We also ordered the new cartridges for our dechlorenation unit ready for the new seasons water changes ,
The weather being warm and sunny made for a pleasent afternoon out .
"Hopefully if things keep on the way things are going it wont be too long before we can get those covers off again".
So all in all a really nice day out

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question