A tree not to plant to close to your pond

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I built my pond 10 years ago I had a Riverbirch in my yard, then about 5 years ago I planted two more that are not to far away from the pond. For some reason this year they are dropping a ton of their seeds or spent flowers into the pond, they look like snow on the water. When I got home today the pond was barely flowing as there were so many in the skimmer that it was cutting off the flow. I netted as many as I could out for about 30 minutes and it helped, I had to clean out the pump screen as it was clogged with them. I have never seen it this bad before, now they are getting older and bigger so that could be it but even last year was no where near this bad with them falling into the pond and clogging things up.

So this got me thinking what other trees would you NOT plant near your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Big leaf Maples, Willows anything IMO that has tons of falling leaves. It just means work and more work. I have a Japanese Maple near mine and leaves do fall in but most of them get blown the opposite direction of the pond so that kind of helps some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My neighbor has a cottonwood and it is so big a big part of it goes across the alley and goes over my pond. Besides being so dirty with falling stuff I keep wondering if any of the giant tree limbs are going to break off and either fall on my pond or me!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
these Maple seeds are the worst around here.
th

Right now they're loaded on neighbors trees and not too long from now they will all be falling and aiming for my pond, or so it'll seem.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a couple different species of Oak. First of all, darn things drop leaves all throughout the fall & winter. When not dropping leaves, it's acorns or tassels....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a huge pear tree. The blooms are pretty until they fall into the pond. The pears make quite a splash too :)

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
apple trees.........flowers in the spring, apples in the fall and leaves. And The huge beautiful maple in south of the pond, the seeds, the flowers the leaves. luckily most of the time the prevailing wind sends them away from the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is difficult isn't it. We want our ponds to be shaded to keep algae at bay but at the same time trees cause such a mess.

I have a weeping willow and mimosa near our pond and last year they were big enough to finally shade the pond a bit and cause a lot of work. Both are a horrible mess in the fall. I don't have a skimmer. But if I net all the floaties every other day or so they don't get a chance to sink to the bottom and cause bigger problems.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a weeping willow and mimosa near our pond and last year they were big enough to finally shade the pond a bit and cause a lot of work.

I would be worried about that willow. Those things hunt for water. We had two of them. One kept causing water backups in the basement until it was cut down to expand the road. The one in the backyard didn't cause problems until it starting falling apart, and its a mammoth, so every branch is as large as a large tree itself. We ended up getting the long branches cut off, so its a good size again. What was I talking about now? :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They don't call those Willow trees widow makers for nothing. We have one in back far away from the pond but they can drop a big limb when they get bigger and you never know when. Heavy snowfalls would be one enemy to any tree w/ big heavy limbs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mulberry tree - TONs of little red berries dropped into my pond scared my fish to the point that they are afraid to come eat!! And it making my pond water turn red too. The tannin in the leaves is also bad and stain almost everything.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
These are all the seeds or whatever they are that drop from my riverbirch. The trees are still loaded with them! The fish seem to eat them as well.
P1060103.JPG

Ask a Question