A true Newbie with a start up question

Reaction score
Hi.
Just bought a house with a small koi pond. Dimensions are about 6 feet by 4 feet and almost 4 feet deep. There is a large waterfall about 5 feet high (its a manmade waterfall kit, but its pretty wide and real heavy).

My questions:

To power the waterfall and filter the water, I assume I can use one bio-filter/pump combo that cleans the water and pumps it to the top of the waterfall. Correct? (If so, can you recommend one?) Or do I need two separate units, one which filters and one which just pumps water to keep the waterfall going?

Once I have the right pump and filter, and the pond is totally clean, what are the steps to starting it?? I assume I fill it with clean water from a hose and cycle water through the filter for a period of time and begin to check the water (for amonia, and pH?). Anything else i need to do as part of the initial setup?

Sorry for such beginner questions for all you pro ponders. Its just that there is a ton of stuff on the web about ponds but very little about the actual starting process.

Many many thanks for your responses.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use one pump for both or two if you would like to have the waterfall off now and then.

If you use tap water, let it cycle or add dechlor before you add any fish. Leaving the pond empty for a while is never a bad idea, gives the pond time to settle in. Afterwards add just a few fish, watch the lab levels. A new pond takes 6-8 weeks cycle.

Here are some links for starting up your pond

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=starting+up+a+pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome22bug.gif
erand122

Reaction score
welcome
erand1

also make you get a strong enough pump/filter.. am not familiar with the combo units but you're going to be pumping water up a height of 9 feet ( if pond is 4 feet deep and waterfall is additional 5 feet)and as the filter starts to fill with debris you're water fall may turn into a trickle

Reaction score
The answers to your questions depends on the number and size of fish you want to keep, how much food you want to feed them, how clear you want the water, how much time you want to spend maintaining the pond and how much money you want to spend. If you just pick this and that because it sounds good, or because it works in someone else's pond, you will end up with a pond you didn't choose and may not like. Better to choose the pond you want first, and then add equipment and procedures to give you the nest shot at the pond you want.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1338769224' post='121851']
welcome
erand1

also make you get a strong enough pump/filter.. am not familiar with the combo units but you're going to be pumping water up a height of 9 feet ( if pond is 4 feet deep and waterfall is additional 5 feet)and as the filter starts to fill with debris you're water fall may turn into a trickle
[/quote]Actually, you are only lifting the water 5'; unless your pond is empty. Vertical head is measured from the pond surface, not the bottom
John

Ask a Question