addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our tenant died early Jan. in the condo. My dear honey headed south, I had to stay north to take care of our bees and few other things before I flew south, well the plane did.

Dear honey had to biological remediation, since he passed in the house, found after 3-4 days.

One of the sons did call, stated he was coming down within the week. To gather up what he might want from his dad's stuff. He did not make it.

We told the son per Florida Statues, since there was no will, someone had to be assigned as the estate rep, we as landlords had to protect the deceased tenants stuff.

The condo was stuffed, he was always neat, had a stroke in Dec, something changed. Food in the fridge, rotted, eggs dated from August. lots of spillage, stunk.

More of the story to follow................

The pictures are just some of the stuff, tons of stuff.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He still had the closet and a dresser full of a deceased GF's clothes she passed 6 years ago

We took the kitchen from this to the other photo back in 2016. He physically threw us out of the condo x 2 but we managed to get it done, a bit of dementia paranoia. We could not leave the kitchen as it was and replaced the bathroom cabinet, the sink was not working.

The counter in the kitchen was rotted, used it as a chopping block.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have been trying, since the dad passed, to get the sons (4) to come and take care of his processions. No luck, trips canceled, no effort to get assigned as the estate rep. on and on.

Well we finally hired a lawyer, a nice intelligent one and not taking us to the cleaners. Per fl statues as of 2/1 everything in the condo is ours, but we are still giving him until the 20th to come and remove what he wants. No luck so far.

We had to replace the flooring, he was a plumber and had put a screw through a cooper line and flooded the unit.
Put in bamboo, some tough stuff. There is some paint and dirt on it right now.............

We had granite installed today, ordered it on Monday installed today, the fastest we have ever had it done.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is the bedroom full of all of the possessions, waiting to be picked through. There is a bed in there, the walk in closet is full of boxes of stuff.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So now we today..................Dear honey is dumping a large black bag of trash we are creating. He comes back, sees the police there talking to a neighbor that had a key to the unit. She found the deceased tenant. We have changed the locks.

WELLLLLL She called the cops, wanted my hubby arrested, claimed we were removing the deceased tenants processions, demanded he be put in jail for theft. My honey invited the cop to come in and see all the stuff in the condo. The cop said no, it is a civil issue. Told the lady to tell the son to hire a lawyer if he is concerned. Now remember he refuses to come down, so far.......

I sent a note to our lawyer, he wants to add us to his book he is going to write when he retires lol.

Write a WILL, this is a pita a mess, with a will it is still a mess but not as bad.

As of 2/21 we can purge the unit, get rid of everything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh @addy1 what a disaster! It's bad enough when you have to deal with your own relatives' junk they leave behind, but someone ELSE'S junk is far worse!

We cleaned my mom's house out 18 months ago and moved her to a small two bedroom apartment. She immediately went to work shopping and buying and filling that place to the gills. Already she no longer has a spare bedroom because it's her "storage room" and she sleeps on the living room sofa because her bed is piled high with purchases still in bags that she will go through "some day". Her kitchen counters are full of food that won't fit in her cupboards because THEY are packed full. So she just keeps buying. It's a mental disorder.

I am committed to Swedish Death Packing. We are slowly but surely ridding ourselves of non-essential belongings. Life is so much easier without a whole bunch of "stuff" that you have to deal with on a daily basis. And when I go, I've promised my kids I'll have it all down to one suitcase. And probably an overstuffed bookcase! haha! PRIORITIES!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh and a bit more info, we offered to pay to fly him down, we offered to box and ship things to him and we found out the crazy neighbor paid for the Dad's cremation. The kid had no funds to pay for it.

Even with the offers there was no movement on his part

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the Swedish death packing! I have been purging dumping giving away, at home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@addy, I think I see a cloche in the first batch of pictures, second picture :) I love cloches !!

What a stinking mess.....will you re rent or sell ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is a tragic mess and sure hope the kid just either comes down and takes care of removing it all or just leaves it alone and doesn't try to get the courts involved w/screwing you over! Darn neighbor is just making things worse! I mean all you want to do is clean the place up and sell it! Not trying to keep the guys stuff, just want it out! What is wrong w/people and now I am wondering if this neighbor is filling the sons head w/lies?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy, I think I see a cloche in the first batch of pictures, second picture :) I love cloches !!

What a stinking mess.....will you re rent or sell ?
You mean that glass dome thing? The dome is on a stand sort of crystal, I think , will need to look at it again.

We are hoping to have the place fixed up and on the market before we leave. Still on hold with the stuff. The bedroom is repainted, we need it empty to have new carpet installed ow it is done, probably a bit of clean up when the stuff is removed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
now I am wondering if this neighbor is filling the sons head w/lies?
The neighbor has been on our case since we got there. Almost demanding that we open bags as we take them out full of OUR garbage, not his. Well except the rotting food.
She is a bit off.
The last we received was a note sent to the kid from our lawyer, he might give the neighbor POA to come and remove whatever she wants, that he might want. Who knows. Then I need to find out if we need to document all that she takes out. Still, per the lawyer, we are going to demand storage fees. The guy has sent us messages about doing his best to hold us up keep the junk in the condo. You never do that lay it out that you are deliberately messing with someone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You mean that glass dome thing? The dome is on a stand sort of crystal, I think , will need to look at it again.

We are hoping to have the place fixed up and on the market before we leave. Still on hold with the stuff. The bedroom is repainted, we need it empty to have new carpet installed ow it is done, probably a bit of clean up when the stuff is removed.
Yes , the glass dome, I thought it was a cloche.

Ask a Question