A water-flow question that needs a less-than-technical answer

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For bogs, what's better for the bog to function as a filter as far as water flow goes?

A Subjective answer instead of an Objective answer.

fast.....
medium.....
slow....

(IOW, not in GPH, but "what it looks like to you" as the water returns to the pond.)

Where this is coming from: I have a 3600 GPH pump [Home Depot "brand"] servicing my 100 gal. skippy and my little turtle bog. I'll soon be adding a larger bog and doing away with the skippy. I have the water split to bog & skippy, but I really have to keep the flow turned way down to both as even going up a little bit causes a lot of disturbance within the skippy [and all the crud at the bottom flows up & out. And the water comes out into the pond with great force instead of a flow. Same for the little bog [which was never intended to be a primary filter], but it will also cause the bog to overflow. Wondering if I could get by with a smaller pump if it's not necessary to "blow" the water out, LOL.

PLEASE, this is NOT a time to say why you do or don't like skippys or other filters. I have what I have....

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going with medium. Too slow and it gets stinky and too fast and the water doesn't have a chance to filter. But that is purely subjective. :) Oh and for the record, my bog is fed by a 700 gph pump and everything in it grows like crazy.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine is slow. I might boost it a little when I get a new pump, but generally I think slow is best. Sometimes my pond is so clear I second guess that there's water in it and maybe the fish just learned to fly around.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I run an 1100gph thru mine. Mine cascades to a lily pond and then back to main pond. It did great the last 2 years.

Ask a Question