A way to bond stone together but not permanent?

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a way to bond stone and rocks around my pond but something that is not permanent. If I ever need to change out my liner I want to be able to pull the stone off.

I'm thinking about keeping it loose but thought I'd ask here first.

I'm going to be using flagstone and or river rock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
pond expanding foam.

I have used it and had to remove some rocks to re structure hand held saw blade at worst or if you some good twine in a sawing motion works well. its pretty much "great stuff" but black and pond safe. to hide the foam use gravel and dirt on it when it first goes on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Awesome thank you!!

I am re reading what I wrote. By hand held saw blade I mean one for a recip Saw or a sawsaz type used by hand and not by a tool. Or machine. I hope that makes sense. The twine should be corse ish. More or less you are cutting foam and don't need a motarized tool for sepration and due to irgaulaties in rock you want more control. A wood type blade will work fast with mess of curf of blade. A metal type blade will work with a more mess in a finerer level. (Wood blade =More chunks lest dust metal = just dust. )in saw dust terms.

Also age of the foam will be a factor. Older is easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
yep sealing foam which is used for waterfalls , grey one
u need to stabilize balance larger stones on them self or supported by others then u wudnt need anything else . wud b safest

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@WhiteNoise IDK, the foam tends to stick really, REALLY well, as in, it will be hard to separate the pieces and there will be a LOT of residue to scrape off. It [the residue] does NOT come off easily!!!!! I know, because I'm working with the stuff now. Maybe a better choice would be the PL goop stuff that we all use [for roofs/flashing]. If you clean the rocks off first, it will stick better. It holds, but then will sort of "pop" off [maybe with a little persuasion...] when you're ready to separate the rocks at a later date.

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning @Mmathis but I already bought the foam and if I'm honest I want something that will bond well. I have dogs and kids and my son already knocked a top stone off the wall because it is not secured. I think this will work well and if I ever need to replace the liner (I know I will eventually) I'm sure I will be able to cut the foam out well enough. To clean off foam from rocks after breaking them down I would use my grinding/buffing wheel.

Ask a Question