A week of camping....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, it's time for our Boy Scout troop's annual summer camp..... Though I'm only a Registered Leader, for this campout, I'm officially the Scout Master, or designated as such, anyway. And so far, so good. We're all checked in and bedded down for our first night. One scout (not with our troop, but sharing the campsite) found a scorpion in his tent, so we had to move him at 10:30pm.

"Nature" is putting on a good listening show for us -- no idea what kind of frogs they are, but they almost drown out the straggling conversations of the last few boys to fall asleep ("lights out" was at 10).

Yawn, and now it's my turn for "lights out!":sleep:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sounds fun (minus the scorpion, that is)! I'm leaving in six days for a week-long camping trip with my two boys (9 and 11) to Northern Maine. I can't wait!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We woke up this morning at 5am to thunderstorms, and it's been raining off & on all day. All aquatics merit badge classes are being adjusted since the lake & pool are off-limits due to the weather. But the boys seem to be taking it all in stride!

And the food here is WONDERFUL, seriously! Yesterday for lunch we had Natchitoches meat pies (it's a Louisiana thing) with a spicy meat filling), image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
mac & cheese. Sunday's dinner was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls....to give you an idea. AND THIS IS MESS HALL FOOD! Not campside cooking!

Oh, and one of the leaders who is here to help me out is an amateur bird person -- he's been spotting birds that I've never heard of. And last night we had an owl-pair hooting off near the campsite -- he said they were barred owls. They sounded so bizarre!

Reaction score
Dont take this the wrong way but is it common for there to be female leaders in Boy Scouts? I did Cadets when I was younger and there were no women to be seen for miles. Hope you are having a fun time!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That food looks good to me too TM. Hope the rain lets up for the kids. Sounds like you are having fun tho rain or shine!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dont take this the wrong way but is it common for there to be female leaders in Boy Scouts? I did Cadets when I was younger and there were no women to be seen for miles. Hope you are having a fun time!
Yes & no. Most "Scout Masters" are prob. still guys, but there are a lot of ladies involved in the scouting program in various capacities. I am a troop committee member and the troop's advancement chair. I go on a lot of the CAMPOUTs as an extra or support person, to be sure we have adequate adult leadership.

This summer our troop is doing an activity out of council, which means NOT doing our local camp. That was going to leave a dozen or so boys who wouldn't have a camp experience because our leaders were doing the OTHER thing. So I volunteered to take it on and 2 other parents are helping me.

In addition, I also teach and help teach several merit badges.

I never got to camp when I was younger, though I love the outdoors. So yes, loving it :)

Ask a Question